Help with Fukien Tea Bonsai leaves are black with spots.

Reaction score
1. Where are you? Zone 9A
2. What species/cultivar is your tree? Fukien Tea (Carmona Retusa)
3. What does your tree look like? This is where you post pictures! Pictures are invaluable if you are asking us to help identify, critique, or diagnose your tree. We are also just super into looking at pictures of trees. What should your pictures show?
Attached below.
4. Where did you get it? Bought this Bonsai from a nursery a little bit south east of me.

5. How long have you had it? 1 month and 5 days.

6. What have you done to it? I water it 2x a week and that's all I've done yet, will be fertilizing it for the first time this week. What do you know of what was done to it before? Taken care of better than I am doing. :(

7. What kind of soil is it in?
Mix that came with from the nursery. Good Japanese soil mix.

8. Where do you keep it? How much light does it get? If you've got a grow light, please provide specs and the distance between the bulb and the canopy. Unless it's a tropical tree you can't keep it indoors year-round (tropicals also like to be outside in the summer). There are exceptions to this. A juniper mallsai is not an exception to this.
Keep it outside on a potting table. It receives direct sunlight for part of the day (in the morning until 11am-ish) then is indirectly lit due to trees around the property.

9. How do you water it (how often, methods)?
2x a week from the top but I've recently started watering it from the bottom by soaking the pot in a tub of water

10. How/how often do you fertilize it?
I haven't yet but I'd like to make sure it is thriving forever.

11. If there's currently an issue, when did you first notice it? Did it happen after you changed something?
Noticed black leaves with white spots this morning, am afraid it is fungus or mites but I think it may be sun damage. I'd like some clarification and help from better growers.

Thank you for any and all help/suggestions. I also have 2 Shimpaku juniper and a crapemyrtle, if anyone has any tips for them, I would appreciate it as well.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 42
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 43

Versal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since you've only had it for a month, it could just be adjusting to its new environment. Whenever I move, my fukien always drops leaves
Depending on where you live in 9a, it could also be too cold outside. Usually I only leave my fukien outside when it's over 50F.

The white spots are normal for the leaves. They are on all leaves but just get more noticeable when the leaves are black

Reaction score
Appreciate it, I'll take it inside if temperatures drop below 50F. Thanks for the help.
Since you've only had it for a month, it could just be adjusting to its new environment. Whenever I move, my fukien always drops leaves
Depending on where you live in 9a, it could also be too cold outside. Usually I only leave my fukien outside when it's over 50F.

The white spots are normal for the leaves. They are on all leaves but just get more noticeable when the leaves are black

Top Bottom