Help with Graft on Amur Maple

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is a healthy Amur maple.
069216A8-B732-4B97-A215-97EAE0F76FAB.jpeg
I think the basic structure of the tree needs a branch coming out from the right side of the tree. Like this: (sorry for the crude mock up)
0AFFD444-787D-4203-9AA8-A34DA0FE501B.jpeg
I’m wondering if an approach or thread graft would make sense. Something like this? (I’ve uses a temporary thumb tac for illustration purposes only).
4B5AE964-14F7-445B-A541-4C3A1FF395E5.jpeg

So my questions are as follows:
Does a graft make sense for this tree?

Is now (late May in zone 6) a good time for this?

Would a thread or approach graft make more sense?

And finally, does anyone have any good resources for a project like this?

Thanks in advance!

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here is a healthy Amur maple.
View attachment 193058
I think the basic structure of the tree needs a branch coming out from the right side of the tree. Like this: (sorry for the crude mock up)
View attachment 193061
I’m wondering if an approach or thread graft would make sense. Something like this? (I’ve uses a temporary thumb tac for illustration purposes only).
View attachment 193062

So my questions are as follows:
Does a graft make sense for this tree?

Is now (late May in zone 6) a good time for this?

Would a thread or approach graft make more sense?

And finally, does anyone have any good resources for a project like this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi gdy2000,
My 2 cents is that putting a thread graft in that position is (would be) going to place a branch on the inside of the bend you put on it. They call that a no-go rule, as most/all bonsai have their branches on the outside of curves. Someone can explain this in more detail if you don’t understand.
By the way, in the resources section (drop down menu on left) you will find some excellent thread grafting information inside the “Grafting 101” thread by @markyscott
Charles.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that will read close enough to outside the curve after that cut is cleaned up.

But there is Nodal activity there at the cut...and just below.....that should easily bud and branch with a good healthy whack.

And quite honestly....if that branch grafted takes....its only gonna serve to ruin the little taper you have....
Being bigger already than the low branching.
(Though they will likely catch up before the graft takes.)

I'd consider letting it grow wild for a few more years of trunk and take it back to the first node.
Maybe create a good tree to layer off the top too in the meantime.

Sorce

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi gdy2000,
My 2 cents is that putting a thread graft in that position is (would be) going to place a branch on the inside of the bend you put on it. They call that a no-go rule, as most/all bonsai have their branches on the outside of curves. Someone can explain this in more detail if you don’t understand.
By the way, in the resources section (drop down menu on left) you will find some excellent thread grafting information inside the “Grafting 101” thread by @markyscott
Charles.
It looks to me that the shown placement is well enough above/outside of the curve so as not to be a problem with that.

americanelmer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice clean job!
I don't think wound sealer is really helpful on the exit side. It may block the fusing of the trunk wound to the new branch.

A_E

Top Bottom