Help with identification and development (lavender star?)

Shawni

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
HI all,

Just purchased my first bonsai and I'm extremely excited! I was told that I was buying a Chinese Elm, but after further research I believe it's a lavender star bonsai because of the flower, does anyone agree? It seems to be a fairly rare tree and I'm having trouble finding much advice for growing it.

If there's anyone who has had success with this tree, please give some tips! Also I appreciate any tips for the first 2 weeks of getting my tree acclimated to its new home. Thanks!
IMG_9330.jpeg

Shawni

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Questions:

Should I use fertilizer if I just got the tree?
Should I wait to prune, if not how much is ok to take off?
How do I thicken the trunk?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local.

<<<<< It will show here.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it inside? outside is a lot better as there is more light and air flow. (but don't go from indirect light to full sun at once).
It should be fine in New Jersey, at least in summer, it might need some protection in winter. But I do not know this species.

The soil seems to be inorganic, that's good. But you need to fertilise, easiest is a standard liquid fertiliser (with micro nutrients) used as recommended on the bottle.
When watering you need to water so much water comes out of the bottom. If you do that you can't over-fertilise.
You can prune by cutting back the long branches but if you want to get a thicker trunk the key is letting it grow.

Most things about pruning, wiring and fertiliser are rather similar for moth deciduous trees so just read the general rules/tips/methods.

Top Bottom