Help with identification of small black bug (with crappy pictures and video)

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's nasty stuff, it's banned in Europe. Wouldn't use it but it does kill a lot.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Your thread got hijacked into irrelevant discussion about merits of NAPA in soil that is no help in dealing with the Thrips youre showing in your photos!!
Only the adults can fly so what youve photographed are probably the early larval forms. Your neighbouring trees in gardens or woodlands could be a source of regular re-infestation so routine treatment of the affected bonsai with insecticidal soap seems a good plan. Which bonsai are affected?

Emanon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Your thread got hijacked into irrelevant discussion about merits of NAPA in soil that is no help in dealing with the Thrips youre showing in your photos!!
Only the adults can fly so what youve photographed are probably the early larval forms. Your neighbouring trees in gardens or woodlands could be a source of regular re-infestation so routine treatment of the affected bonsai with insecticidal soap seems a good plan. Which bonsai are affected?
Thanks! Yeah, I noticed that the landscape tree right in front of the trees of mine that are affected exhibit damage that is similiar to what I'm seeing on my trees. I looked up the tree using a plant/tree identifier app on a smartphone. It came back as Lophostemon confertus (know as brush box, Queensland box, Brisbane box, pink box, box scrub, and vinegartree according to Wikipedia). I haven't actually seen the same bugs on this tree though but I also haven't looked too closely. Also nearby is a eucalyptus tree, I think -- I couldn't get close enough to its high branches to get a good picture for the app.

So far, the bugs are all over three of the giant sequoias (Sequoiadendron giganteum) that I have and my Monterey cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa) but it is not on any of my other trees, which are all decidious, with the exception of a Cryptomeria.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any bugs that suck sap are GONE if you use Bayer Feed & Protect.

Not ONE aphid or scale for 2 years now.

View attachment 303635
I just wrote that down, thanks for the mention. I'm likely going to have to give this or something like it a try. Aphids are generally just a nuisance for me, but they are constantly all over my Quince and I've got a Pyracantha that is about to flower and the buds are just swimming in them.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But why use this stuff instead of soap and ethanol?
Imidacloprid that is in the Bayer stuff is very toxic and systemic. It will end up in the pollen and nectar of the flowers of your Pyracantha and quince and will kill the bees and other pollinators that visit the flowers.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
But why use this stuff instead of soap and ethanol?
Imidacloprid that is in the Bayer stuff is very toxic and systemic. It will end up in the pollen and nectar of the flowers of your Pyracantha and quince and will kill the bees and other pollinators that visit the flowers.
Well hell. That's bad news. We go out of our way to grow a flower garden and support the pollinators, so thanks for sharing that detail.

Top Bottom