Help with identification of small black bug (with crappy pictures and video)

Emanon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Can anybody help me ID this bug? I get these all over but only on certain trees -- giant sequoia and Monterey cypress -- and they seem to do substantial damage each year. At first I thought they were some kind of scale... but they move pretty fast, plus insecticidal soap and neem oil does not seem to get rid of them.

Thanks in advance! I'm sorry but I can't get better pictures of them with my older model cellular phone...

Attachments

• sbb 3.jpg
    sbb 3.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 31
  • sbbx.jpg
    sbbx.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 34
  • sbb 2.jpg
    sbb 2.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 39

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
I don’t know. But if you plant your trees in DE (diametecous earth ) commonly referred to as Napa #8822 I promise you will no longer have bugs of any shape or size

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I know alot of people tout how wonderful it is, but I think it stays to wet for too long for some trees, such as bougainvillea.

I understand what you mean.

I think it is a very useful agent in certain mixes I have tried in my experimentation (New Guy :) ) I noticed enormous variations in water retention based on the “particle?” size I sifted to.

Still figuring it out. 😁

Emanon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I don’t know. But if you plant your trees in DE (diametecous earth ) commonly referred to as Napa #8822 I promise you will no longer have bugs of any shape or size
Why? Interesting enough, but the giant sequoia that's in the pic in my first posting has some diametecous earth in its mix. It's one of a few of my trees that still does.
It's not 8822 but a product that used to be made by a company called "Down To Earth." I liked the particle size better.

But, is the silicon that DE makes available to the tree the reason that you made your suggestion? I often add between 1/8 and 1/4 of a teaspoon per gallon of a soluble Silicon Dioxide (SiO2) when watering....

Emanon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Kinda looks like a thrip to me. But Ive been wrong before.
Thanks! Could be! That's what the body shape looks like at least. They don't fly or leap though... but there are so many different species, it looks like, that that fact probably doesn't matter. Helps me narrow down a plan of action...

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
I keep bees also; we use DE to keep hive beetles and other bugs out and away. I have no idea why it works.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I know alot of people tout how wonderful it is, but I think it stays to wet for too long for some trees, such as bougainvillea.

I agree with that, my bougs get half the water of my other trees if they are in DE. You can definitely over water an inorganic substrate with DE in the mix.
That said it is perfect for my water loving evergreens.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Uhhh... tell that to the Aphids in my Apples, Quinces and Pyracantha. I'm using Napa 8822.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soil components will mostly do nothing for flying insects. Thrips, aphids and other things don't touch the ground...

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They don't fly or leap though... but there are so many different species,

I vote thrips also. Can you post pics of the damage? We have several kinds here in SoCal. For better pest pics, try shaking some into a container and freeze them, then get a 10x jewelers loop to help identify them. You can also take phone pics through the loop (with some difficulty).

This is the site I default to for most pest management.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I vote thrips also. Can you post pics of the damage? We have several kinds here in SoCal. For better pest pics, try shaking some into a container and freeze them, then get a 10x jewelers loop to help identify them. You can also take phone pics through the loop (with some difficulty).

This is the site I default to for most pest management.

This is good information. I’ve had entire crops of peppers wiped out while I was trying to identify the “Thrip Menace”! Stuck in a “..this looks like...” “but, this DOESN’T” limbo.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That doesn’t make much sense, for anything where the substrate Is not part of it’s lifecycle.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes that is thrips. They can fly but do not do it a lot (like aphids).
Spraying with a solution of insecticidal soap (potassium soap, 20 gram) and ethanol (20 grams) in a liter of water a few times a week often works well.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Any bugs that suck sap are GONE if you use Bayer Feed & Protect.

Not ONE aphid or scale for 2 years now.

1_24_368.jpg

Top Bottom