Help with identification

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
Hi,
In search of Mikawa JBP seeds, I gave a shot to a source in China via Aliexpress. The seeds I got looked like pine seeds but the seedlings that sprouted are definitely not...

Can any one tell me what these are?

The supplier insist its Mikawa pine...

Thanks,
Shay

Attachments

• IMG_20160323_170121.jpg
    IMG_20160323_170121.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20160323_170106.jpg
    IMG_20160323_170106.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 43

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The fact that they're from China pretty much eliminates the chance the seeds are from the Mikawa region in Japan. These might be JBP, and may even exhibit some of the characteristics of Mikawa JBP, but it will be a decade or more before you'll know: purplish plated bark, deep, fresh green needles. Good luck with them, even as standard seedling JBP, you can have some fun.

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I tought if you have an old Mikawa that has cones you can get seeds from anyware...
The thing is, it dosnt look like needles and I don't think its even pine.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First 2 leaves are seed leaves. Small single needles are immature needles that precede "adult" foliage needles that come in bunches with sheath around base. With JBP may have adult needles if seedlings grow well in current growth year;). Would suggest better lighting as seedlings all leaning towards light source. Not full hot sun but better overhead light which also helps bring on adult foliage.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The first set of leaves are called cotyledons, or embryonic leaves (look it up). They rarely resemble anything else the tree will ever produce again in its life. Everything else looks pine to me. By the provenance, you may determine they're JBP, but you will never know for sure if it's Mikawa; which isn't even a cultivar, but just an area in Japan that has "good JBP".

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for the reply.
I tought if you have an old Mikawa that has cones you can get seeds from anyware...
The thing is, it dosnt look like needles and I don't think its even pine.
It is a Pine. You are just looking at the first generation juvenile growth. In a couple of weeks you will start seeing actual needles emerge.

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
Its the second year I grow JBP and have seedlings from a legitimate source right next to the ones in the photo. They have nothing in common... I know the firs set of leaves are not "real needles". The pine seedlings have 5 or so starter leaves and the unknown ones have 2 wide non needle like leaves. Also, the new leaves emerging after are organized in alternate pairs and look like thin leaves rather then needles. That's why I think its not pine.
I guess I'll just have to wait...
Thanks for the help guys.

Top Bottom