Help with identification

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I pulled this tree from around my birdbath last fall and threw it in a colander so it most likely is a bird transplant. Looks 20171015_161131.jpg 20171015_161136.jpg kind of like the raintrees but I don't think that they are around here. Any idea?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
European mountain ash (Sorbus aucuparia) is my guess.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Beautifull color btw! They aren't native to the US, right?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Cute little tree. I don't have any mountain ash bonsai but I do have a few trees in the yard that are quite old. The fall foliage is spectacular, they rival any maple out there with vivid colors and the small berries will hang on a tree all winter if the birds don't get to them. The flowers are uninspiring and they stink to boot but that is the only downfall.

There are European and American varieties, I have no idea how to tell which is which.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ok you guys, make up your mind, do I leave the tournequet on or can I take it off? It's getting just a bit tight!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Probably an Ash, genus Sorbus. Like sumac, sometimes grown more or less as a large kusamono for beautiful autumn color. Kimura has a unbranched 5 foot tall sumac that has a graceful trunk, and nice autumn color. Bonsai only if one considers kusamono bonsai.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Probably for larger trees due to the size of their compound leaves. But they can be reduced.
Kusamono if it is young and larger bonsai from bigger collected or ground grown trees.
Even if they won't reduce, one can always cut a leaf to 2 leaflets or 4 or 6 or .... Petiole length may then be a problem, but so what? One point of deciduous bonsai is the beauty of the 'skeleton' during the winter --> internode length. This was the coup de gras of my past toying with mountain ash.

Top Bottom