Help with identifying issues with my conifers.

Ranitomeya

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b6
The mobile site has given me a bunch of formatting errors so please see this link for relevant photos:

I received a Mugo Pine, which showed up with a weird white paint like discoloration over a wound several weeks ago. I have been spraying with neem oil weekly, and have even tried gently wiping it with a qtip and alcohol. Unfortunately it seems to have spread to some of my other trees (it's getting cold here so everything is heeled over on the side of my house). I'm not even 100% sure I can see it on some of the others but it seems more noticeable and like there's a little more everytime I look at them. My first thought was powdery mildew, but it hasn't responded to treatment. Scale seemed like a possibility, but I'm seeing no signs of bugs, just discoloration.

While inspecting everything today, I noticed a different discoloration on the trunk of my Ponderosa. Granted it has some very gnarly bark so I've made a point to not touch it anywhere and this might just be the color of its wood but it seems.. off to me? Is this what rust looks like on wood? This tree was newly acquired so I can't say I'm too familiar with it and opted to heel it over before trying anything in the spring.

I've tried using the search feature here, and using Google but I feel like I'm just going in circles trying to identify the issues, and how to slow infection and what course of treatment to take. Especially with winter being here, would that effect my course of treatment? Should I be using something more heavy duty than neem oil? Whatever feedback and insights you all can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Perhaps adelgids.
But they should respond to Horticultural oil.
How you tried using a toothbrush or something to scrub off?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Personally don’t see anything that looks real concerning. I think the white is just dried sap. The ponderosa looks like just callous tissue to me.

I definitely wouldn’t apply any more treatments until spring. Well, personally I wouldn’t apply anything at all until there is a definitive diagnosis. I.e, the more common/benign causes are ruled out.

Just my 2 cents. Interested to hear what others think.

Ranitomeya

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b6
Hmm okay then. I'm definitely going to defer to your judgement Colorado. I can't say I know conifers too well, but dried sap would explain why I'm not seeing anything on my deciduous stuff. I can't say I've seen what these guys do in winter yet.

Just in case I'll bone up on adelphids, but I'll be sure not to attempt any additional treatment for now.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
It is quite normal for many conifers to produce resin/sap from pruning wounds . It often turns whitish in colder conditions.
Applying Neem oil weekly is not that helpful unless you identify that you have specific pest problem

Top Bottom