Help with identifying this pest?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey all-
I’ve noticed this insect/pest and it’s become so prevalent lately I don’t know what to do. I have no idea what they are. I always noticed a small few crawling on my pots, but just today I came across a horde of them crawling on the bench and going into the drainage hole of one of my Bonsai starts. Then I noticed doing the same on a couple others- crawling in and around the drainage hole. Is anyone can ID these things and let me know how to get rid of them and what trouble they can cause, etc. Much appreciated thank you!D4FC1418-EE5A-441F-8086-7084BB4FA2BA.jpeg86BABDCD-6E2E-4F1A-9580-1467B1EDFEA1.jpeg4107D862-2209-4736-B3E4-20BA1140007D.jpegB77E059E-EF47-46FF-BC78-AB71F551A99A.jpegF1A6BD09-664A-4493-83C0-B36D5CF736C1.jpeg84FB3832-E105-4CB4-AC90-0808814F597F.jpeg308994FD-FF3F-47C6-AFEA-A5DC625DFAD4.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I will also add that they are brownish, in some of the pictures they look like dark specks but they are a brown/tan/reddish color and they move fairly quickly. Like the opposite of aphids.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do they jump about when moved or touched in any way?
Springtails would do that.. as far as I’m aware, they are harmless to our trees, if they are springtails.

You’ll have to look at them closely in person, as you’d need a good zoom camera to show us the details needed.. body shape, number of legs, main things when identifying insects.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/rid-springtails-attracted-to-86652.html

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
They may be indicative of soil that is breaking down. If you only see them around the soil there is another bit of confirmation for springtails. I’ve never seen them in conventional bonsai mix so I suspect garden center soil of some kind.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Do they jump about when moved or touched in any way?
Springtails would do that.. as far as I’m aware, they are harmless to our trees, if they are springtails.

You’ll have to look at them closely in person, as you’d need a good zoom camera to show us the details needed.. body shape, number of legs, main things when identifying insects.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/rid-springtails-attracted-to-86652.html

I have not witnessed them jump at all, I don’t know if there are types of springtails that do not jump. I’ve attached more detailed photos

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
They may be indicative of soil that is breaking down. If you only see them around the soil there is another bit of confirmation for springtails. I’ve never seen them in conventional bonsai mix so I suspect garden center soil of some kind.

That makes perfect sense too because when I tap the pot and look, there’s a bunch of them that seem to have fallen from the soil. I’ve attached more detailed photos below.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
They might have migrated to the plants. Check any vegetation or grass in the vicinity to get a better idea of where they came from, either your area or maybe wherever you got the plants.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’m hedging my bets on springtail. Although to be honest there’s only like.. 1 insect I know that looks like that.. so, springtail it is for me!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yep, those are most likely springtails. They're helping the organics break down, they're considered pets and not pests around here. They're a sign of a healthy system.

Reaction score
Hope so your pest problem is solved until now. What methods have you tried to eradicate them from your home? Take the precautions like improve the ventilation and try to keep that area dry. Also, remove the piles of wet leaves. Consult the professionals like pest control Dixon CA to get the best insecticides which are less toxic but good for the pest control. Taking precautions and control methods can save prevent you and your family from having to deal with the headaches of an uncontrollable infestation.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Over the winter, I had some springtails show up in my small tropical tree area, along with some gnats...
I introduced a centipede, just like the one @sorce showed, it stayed there all winter, and took care of the problem.

Are springtails really a good thing?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Over the winter, I had some springtails show up in my small tropical tree area, along with some gnats...
I introduced a centipede, just like the one @sorce showed, it stayed there all winter, and took care of the problem.

Are springtails really a good thing?

I am told they are, yes. Id like more info though, if anyone knows... there are 100s in my pot, with 2 elms planted in it. It is teaming with them! But, when looking at terrariums, I know they are good to have and help towards a working environment.
Perhaps im wrong...

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Yes, springtails are beneficial. They feed on decaying plant matter and mold.

They are pretty much essential in closed terrariums,and terrarium/vivarium hobbyists internationally cultivate them.

That being said, springtails need soil that is too moist for the healthy growth of most plants. So, if you have springtails, you probably have a moisture problem (not a springtail problem).

If the soil dries out appropriately, the springtails will be gone.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Snow fleas is an alternate name for them, so makes sense they'd show up even in Winter.
I have an infestation ATM. Really think the leaves under the porch and the old treated lumber
which is "rotting" aging/splintering in the Sun is also a haven for them.
The exterminator I am currently using now informs me they will not cover them due to their
population explosion capabilities and they way they uptake the poison.

He also informs me that my bonsai are the root cause, which is why I found this thread.
The fact that I am watering any potted plant that provides shade and moisture, or have a
welcome mat that pretty much provides the same issue, or a cooler on the porch which I
display a bonsai on red neck style, provides an environment in which they thrive.
It's not necessarily the soil the plants have, though that could be an initial breeding ground,
but it's the fact that there is moisture, and protection from the Sun.
They are under anything I have on my porch, be it a paint stirring stick, a cooler a watering can
and 1g water jug that's empty, or a bonsai. THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!!!! and some get tracked into the house :mad:o_O

I can no longer bring my bonsai indoors to take pictures of them, let alone display them.
I have another extermination company stopping by this evening that claims to cover them.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
You have a moisture problem on/under your porch. If it weren't springtails, it would be mold.

Is there anything you can do to increase airflow in that area? Is the porch enclosed? Can you open a window/run a fan?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Keeping my bonsai alive is keeping my Springtails alive as well...

You have a moisture problem on/under your porch. If it weren't springtails, it would be mold.

Is there anything you can do to increase airflow in that area? Is the porch enclosed? Can you open a window/run a fan?
Yes. Hi Sparklemotion. There's moisture, and no doubt some natural decay/mold having some leaves underneath the porch I cannot get to.
The porch is in brutal heat on the SSW side of the home fully open/exposed. What ground there is underneath does dry pretty well, but is also
on the front of the front/street side with a sloping front yard, towards the house. That means what run off there is, slopes under the porch, which reignites
the wet/dry cycle permitting such an environment for the Springtails, but wait, there's more...

I've my doubts that hiring a neighbor kid to remove the clumps of hundreds of Aspen trees that cloned under the porch, going about their way
as far as Earth exists/permits (search Pando in Utah), and what thin bed of leaves that have accumulated with the Aspen from neighboring deciduous trees,
that I will be able to remedy the situation without replacing the entire porch. Each 2x4" flooring used, is screwed to the joists.
As the wood ages and cracks develop, and at the contact point of flooring to joist, moisture will play the same role there.
Allowing our extermination coverage to lapse, may save enough money to replace the deck flooring.
However, we have had termite activity under our house without getting in as far as inspections can tell.
All wooden tomato stakes come out of the ground late Fall with active termites up to 3 years ago
when I stopped growing tomatoes on the back side of the home.

I really think replacing my decking will go a long way towards the remedy in my particular scenario.

My deck is old and past the point of return with any deck surface remedy, short of full replacement.
We've been thinking about composite decking for some time now...and the Springtails began being a problem last year.
Always under my bonsai, but but also always under anything else.

Keeping my bonsai alive is keeping my Springtails alive as well.

Top Bottom