Help with identifying

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
Hi all

I was given this little beauty but can’t find any reference to it’s strange leaf?
Any ideas on how to make it ‘full’ would be great too

Sorry about the use of the bag tie ?
89C198E9-B9C8-43E6-9F22-FD0E41596E12.jpeg

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
It’s not dead ? it’s resting ?
No look it’s got new growth 2773510C-ADE0-4652-9860-E9E36C25A613.jpeg

Attachments

• 8648B49E-9DEE-4FAC-B2A9-033AA3C11EB3.jpeg
    8648B49E-9DEE-4FAC-B2A9-033AA3C11EB3.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 8

Scooter9166 - 5a

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes, chrysanthemum. I have a couple of plants from last summer that are still growing, or growing again?
I would guess it will be quite a while before it flowers, but it should be cool.

Scooter9166 - 5a

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Mine are very thirsty, so I use mostly organic soil. They will wilt when they aren't getting enough water.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, looks herbaceous to me too, could be a type of Artemisia. The foliage color looks more minty green to me like perennial artemisia, they can be somewhat silvery too.

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
I think it’s a rare whattheblueblazes tree ... now getting very pretty, well more foliage lol

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I believe it is a Pelargonium - commonly called Geranium.

But I am not 100% certain. The photo is not allowing me to see leaf details with any clarity.

Most of the geraniums (Pelargoniums) used in the potted plant trade have ancestor species from desert regions of South Africa, They will survive a dry spell during cooler weather. I have left some of mine completely dry for 2 or 3 months and they grew well in spring when I started watering them again. The larger the plant, the less water it needs in winter. Small plants might not store enough water, these will need to be occasionally watered in winter. They have lovely flowers all summer long.

They make an okay bonsai, more often used as kusamono than a tree worthy of being the focal point of a display. The do not have ''true wood'' like a deciduous tree, no growth rings. The trunks are more or less stringy bundles of fiber inside. But the fibrous stems are sturdy enough to last a number of years. They do not take bending older branches. If you use wire at all, wire the new growth before it is 6 months old. After that it will break rather than hold a shape. Clip and grow is the most common way to style them.

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
I believe it is a Pelargonium - commonly called Geranium.

But I am not 100% certain. The photo is not allowing me to see leaf details with any clarity.

Most of the geraniums (Pelargoniums) used in the potted plant trade have ancestor species from desert regions of South Africa, They will survive a dry spell during cooler weather. I have left some of mine completely dry for 2 or 3 months and they grew well in spring when I started watering them again. The larger the plant, the less water it needs in winter. Small plants might not store enough water, these will need to be occasionally watered in winter. They have lovely flowers all summer long.

They make an okay bonsai, more often used as kusamono than a tree worthy of being the focal point of a display. The do not have ''true wood'' like a deciduous tree, no growth rings. The trunks are more or less stringy bundles of fiber inside. But the fibrous stems are sturdy enough to last a number of years. They do not take bending older branches. If you use wire at all, wire the new growth before it is 6 months old. After that it will break rather than hold a shape. Clip and grow is the most common way to style them.

That’s really informative thanks so much Leo just to help out I’ve uploaded more recent pictures in my profile and here

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
If you bruise a leaf between your fingers, what is the fragrance, or is there no fragrance?

It smells like a cross between spearmint and lemon ... not unpleasant lol
Also the leaves are extremely delicate just the gentlest touch and they come off

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
Oh lord .... it’s not a Pelargonium it’s a Ming Aralia :rolleyes: found one on this very site lol
They can’t be styles nor bent in anyway so I’ve just got a windswept stick of parsley lol

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ming Aralia was one of the other possible candidates I considered. That is why I asked about fragrance. My thought was that the Aralia would not be strongly fragrant, the Pelargonium would have strong fragrance.

In China, the use the Ming aralia in Penjing, and mostly do clip and grow styling. Penjing and Bonsai are similar, though Penjing usually as a distinctive look to the trees, less formal in the styling, a less refined look.

Top Bottom