Help with Jack Pine

Serban

Seedling
Reaction score
So a couple of months ago i bought a bonsai kit which contained some jack pine seeds, a small black ceramic pot, some soil, and a small boom telling me how to take care of it. Things were going well until a few days ago when i observed that the little plant which was standing up before now bows down.I watered the plant every time I saw the soil dry so i don't think it's because of that.
Snapchat-1226568522.jpg
Note: I usually keep it in a more sunny place but I placed it here for the photo.

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
the pic is not very clear, but check the spot circled in red
wilt.jpg

that looks kinda yellow and narrower than the rest of the stem. is this the case? might be wilt.
Did you only get one seed?

best regards
Herman

Serban

Seedling
Reaction score
the pic is not very clear, but check the spot circled in red
View attachment 328040

that looks kinda yellow and narrower than the rest of the stem. is this the case? might be wilt.
Did you only get one seed?

best regards
Herman
Hi, yes, it's true there's something there but i'm not sure if it's really wilt, i got 4 seeds but only this one worked

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Two possibilities immediately spring to mind.
1. Searching for light. They tend to grow toward the lightest area and frequently develop a lean like this. Turn it around each day to ensure straighter growth. note that pines are quite difficult to keep healthy and alive indoors. Outside would be much better.

2. Damping off disease. Fungal infection that attacks the soft tissue at the base of seedlings. Yours looks to be just the right age for damping off attack. The yellow ring at the base of the stem is typical. The fungi quickly cuts off circulation in the stem and the plant collapses and dies in a couple of days. Fungicide can prevent the fungi infecting other nearby seedlings but it is usually too late to save those already affected. Damping off is more likely in damp, shaded or crowded conditions. Direct sun can help prevent damping off.

Serban

Seedling
Reaction score
Two possibilities immediately spring to mind.
1. Searching for light. They tend to grow toward the lightest area and frequently develop a lean like this. Turn it around each day to ensure straighter growth. note that pines are quite difficult to keep healthy and alive indoors. Outside would be much better.

2. Damping off disease. Fungal infection that attacks the soft tissue at the base of seedlings. Yours looks to be just the right age for damping off attack. The yellow ring at the base of the stem is typical. The fungi quickly cuts off circulation in the stem and the plant collapses and dies in a couple of days. Fungicide can prevent the fungi infecting other nearby seedlings but it is usually too late to save those already affected. Damping off is more likely in damp, shaded or crowded conditions. Direct sun can help prevent damping off.
Thank you very much, do you think it would be ok to let it sit outside? Here, at the moment, the temperature is about 19°C(66.2F)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Jack pine is one of the hardier species so should be OK even well below freezing

Top Bottom