Help with Jade bonsai shedding leaves and branch tips

leandroaveiro

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi everyone, need some help.

This Jade was bought from Bill Valavanis in 2020. I don't know how old it is.

I keep it indoors next to a southeast facing window most of the year and then outdoors when temperatures are firmly above 60F.

Both years when I brought it back inside after the summer the tree went through heavy leaf loss, I think due to change in light conditions. The first year the tree bounced back normally.

This year however the tree only produced about 50% leaf coverage with some primary branches completely bare and the tips of some secondary and tertiary branches are dying off.

The tree was repotted this spring too with light root work but I needed to do it because it was pot bounded.

I've also noticed a quite heavy infestation of mealybugs that I have been treating with pesticide and alcohol 70%.

Scratching the bark I see a healthy green cambium layer in all primary branches, even the ones without any leaf.

I wanted to get your opinion if there's hope for this tree bouncing back and I appreciate any advice as well.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20220513_152544.jpg
    20220513_152544.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220513_154952.jpg
    20220513_154952.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220513_154915.jpg
    20220513_154915.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 40

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a Portulacaria afra. It's sometimes called "dwarf jade", but calling it that leads to confusion with Crassula ovata.

In my opinion, this thing needs light (bright shade to full sun) and careful watering, and to be left alone for a while to recover. It'll be fine unless it gets watered too much too often, or pests get out of control.

Mealybugs don't seem to be a big problem in my experience (a q-tip and alcohol is all I've ever needed). I don't experience leaf drop when bringing mine inside inside, but I stage everything from full sun, to bright shade for a week+, then indoors.

Last edited:

leandroaveiro

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the help!

What is worrying me is that even now in full spring and bright light, it continues to shed some leaves, even though I see some new ones growing on the branches that currently have leaves (no hint of budding in the bare branches yet).

How do you transition from outside to inside? Bringing it inside for progressively longer hours every day?

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The transition just involves a step or two between whatever the brightest light you give outdoors is, and the reduced light of indoors. For me, that's a week or two on a covered porch where they still get bright light, but not much direct light.

I do the same thing in reverse in the spring to prevent leaves from burning in the sun.

Top Bottom