Help with Japanese Maple ID

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I know it’s a crap shoot but I figured I figured I would ask as I have two maples in my back yard and if I can layer them for material I’ll be less likely to buy more trees but I want to make sure they aren’t bloodgoods as I have heard that do not reduce.

The ones on the top are from a tree that had a tag on it that said fireglow. Interior and newer growth is greener than red right now where the outside leaves are all red/purple.

The two on the bottom are from an unrelated tree. They look very similar but I can’t tell if they are the same.

Thanks I’m advance for any ideas.

Attachments

• F0A9712D-2001-4548-BB57-DD538BF09C06.jpeg
    F0A9712D-2001-4548-BB57-DD538BF09C06.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 33

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The 2 lower leaves have significant differences. Note that the lobes of the upper 2 are only divided part way. The bottom leaves are divided right down to the leaf stem. Margins are more serrated in the lower 2. I'd bank on these being different. Whether the second is a known, named variety or just a seedling is anyone's guess.

My experience with Bloodgood is not so much larger leaves that don't reduce but the longer internodes makes it harder to build ramification in smaller trees.
I haven't tried 'Fireglow' so not sure what characteristics it has that may be good or difficult for bonsai. Without anyone else having tried the best you can do is have a go.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The 2 lower leaves have significant differences. Note that the lobes of the upper 2 are only divided part way. The bottom leaves are divided right down to the leaf stem. Margins are more serrated in the lower 2. I'd bank on these being different. Whether the second is a known, named variety or just a seedling is anyone's guess.

My experience with Bloodgood is not so much larger leaves that don't reduce but the longer internodes makes it harder to build ramification in smaller trees.
I haven't tried 'Fireglow' so not sure what characteristics it has that may be good or difficult for bonsai. Without anyone else having tried the best you can do is have a go.
Both tress have tons of growth and are a handful of years old so there is plenty of material to take from them :)

I just don’t want to waste a bunch of time on something that will end up being bad material.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can make bonsai with Bloodgood JM, with the caveat that it needs to be a larger size bonsai. It’s not going to work for a shohin because of the internode length, but that’s not so much of an issue if you aim for a tree that’s 3 foot tall or something.

I have a Fireglow, but it’s still in the very earliest stages of development. Judging by the internode length, I expect that I’ll need to aim for a largish tree with it.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You can make bonsai with Bloodgood JM, with the caveat that it needs to be a larger size bonsai. It’s not going to work for a shohin because of the internode length, but that’s not so much of an issue if you aim for a tree that’s 3 foot tall or something.

I have a Fireglow, but it’s still in the very earliest stages of development. Judging by the internode length, I expect that I’ll need to aim for a largish tree with it.
With the exception of large pot prices I actually like larger trees to be honest.

I had a crazy offer at a local nursery. He has two large bloodgoods and offered them to me for 30 each. He just wants them gone.

Attachments

• 7A74A860-2F6D-4A97-8E4F-05B3B66E1623.jpeg
    7A74A860-2F6D-4A97-8E4F-05B3B66E1623.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 7E9D92A8-D79C-418B-919F-513A7A3C0C66.jpeg
    7E9D92A8-D79C-418B-919F-513A7A3C0C66.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom