Help with Japanese Maple

Reaction score
I have just started getting into bonsai trees and would like some advice. This Japanese maple tree had been growing out of our front steps for quite a while, and I finally dug it out and planted it (with as many roots as I could retrieve). I would eventually like to convert this into a bonsai, obviously over time, however I am not sure where to begin. Should I let the tree grow out for a couple of seasons? If so, what should I be doing to keep it short and insure there is enough to work with when it is able to be worked on for a bonsai?
Again, I am completely knew to this so any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Jap maple.jpg
    Jap maple.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 96

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please fill out your location info to properly give advice on growing.

Welcome to bonsai! You've got a good specimen for potential bonsai one day. Unfortunately though, this tree is way too small to begin anything with. Mid summer is not normally the best season to dig trees. That would be best suited for late fall, or the early spring. Your best bet at increasing the size of your J.Maple would be allowing it to grow freely in the ground.

I recommend this link for more study. http://bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_StartingOut.html

jesseblunt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
The best advice I can give from a fellow beginner bonsai enthusiast is to understand that in order to achieve bonsai looks and characteristics you have to start from the roots up...

If you have this tree dug and re-potted, leave it be for the rest of this season and allow it to try to survive in it's new home. Anything you do beyond that is likely to stress it out and end badly for the tree and your confidence. Your goal should be to establish a happy root system with plenty of small ramified feeder roots rather than a big taproot.

The trunk (and visible roots near the trunk known as "nebari") is the most important visible part of potential bonsai. The best way to grow and build size is to put it in the ground and allow it to thrive and put on size over the course of a couple of years. (Do this now or in the Spring - I'm sure someone can chime in on what would be best...)

You can tend to it and fertilize like you would in a pot but give it room to do what it wants to do - grow bigger! Research lighting requirements for the species (watch for leaf burn in deciduous species like this maple) and watering needs for your region and find a spot that suits a couple year (minimum) commitment to letting it grow. I wouldn't worry too much about keeping it short as you will likely be chopping most of the upper growth off once you get a trunk that has a better size and taper. That was one of the most important things I've learned...the branches and leaves you see now will not be part of your future tree...they are essentially being used to grow the girth of the tree and new buds will create future branches that you will grow in a controlled and hopefully well-spaced and arranged manner. (search for John Naka's Bonsai Techniques for images and info on branch placement)

Understand that smaller pots are really the last step of refining a bonsai tree as it pretty much stops the wild growth and slows down to a more manageable rate of growth while still keeping a healthy root system. Kind of a freeze-frame for the tree. (at least this is the way I understand it)

Plan on this being the first of as many trees (big and small) you can get your hands on. More trees give you the ability to move your attention (or torture) from one tree to many and lessen the chance of you TLC'ing your lone tree to death.

I'll stop there and let someone else correct any misinformation I may have blurted.
Do yourself a favor and start reading the old threads and learn search terms to avoid asking questions that have already been covered and beaten to death...(seems like the best way to open up cans of worms around here!)

Good luck, lots of patience, and welcome to B-nut!
Jesse

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have just started getting into bonsai trees and would like some advice. This Japanese maple tree had been growing out of our front steps for quite a while, and I finally dug it out and planted it (with as many roots as I could retrieve). I would eventually like to convert this into a bonsai, obviously over time, however I am not sure where to begin. Should I let the tree grow out for a couple of seasons? If so, what should I be doing to keep it short and insure there is enough to work with when it is able to be worked on for a bonsai?
Again, I am completely knew to this so any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Hey welcome to the hobby! I have a maple that was almost 3 feet tall. We had a heat wave this year and it literally took out a foot of foliage and tree. I had to cut it down to something around your size, similar to your picture. My plan is to let it grow out a few seasons as well like you should. But I agree with all points mentioned in Jesseblunt's reply and also stress that you let the tree develop branches and by doing that; you'll let the trunk thicken. My only concern, just by looking at your picture is the soil. That looks like it'll get wet and stay wet, and compact; not root friendly. I would look at soil threads and get familiar with how bonsai soil works, and if you're really confident, you could mix your own or buy some to start off with and study its components. You're in good hands, this place is a mountain of knowledge, and everyone is very supportive and friendly.

I thought I'd put in a few words: that through my experience (still very green to be honest), you have a spark in your right now, keep that spark lit and let it grow and nurture it into a passionate flame (for the hobby ;)). Don't be too ambitious too quickly, and just walk down the path of the bonsai hobby confident but proceed with caution and just take each step logically. I had someone explain that to me and it stuck.

Top Bottom