Help with Japanese white pine

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
This pine also needs a new pot but which one...

pot 1

IMG_0448_zpsb40cf742.jpg

IMG_0449_zpsbf5031d7.jpg

IMG_0460_zpsd7f3408f.jpg

pot 2

IMG_0452_zpsabff4d8f.jpg

IMG_0453_zps44e79b18.jpg

pot 3
IMG_0455_zps2aec5b18.jpg

IMG_0454_zpsb3ea436c.jpg

IMG_0456_zps3cdb3cc5.jpg

pot 4
IMG_0457_zps5c25435c.jpg

IMG_0458_zps736e1024.jpg

IMG_0459_zps1e11703b.jpg

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot#1

I like pot 1 the best. I like the rectangles over the rounds. The extra deco on the side is a bonus for me. It's classic just like the tree.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Leaning toward #1, could be talked into 4, if it isn't too wide. Definitely not 3. 2 is nice, but a bit feminine, maybe even more so than its current pot. Fun to have choices!

AuBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would pick pot # 1 but can't go wrong with any of the choices and quite a beautiful tree.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
pot 1 was my pick as well but it is slightly smaller than the current pot. Current pot is way to feminine for my taste with the cloud feet and the rim. Pot 4 is shallow but much too wide imo. I really like pot 2 which is exactly the same size as the current pot. I don't know that the large lip necessarily makes it feminine however.

Thanks for the feedback

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just my gut feeling, but I like the second pot, though the other ones aren't bad. The shape is a little feminine, but I think the lip and bottom of the pot help even it out. It seems to go well with the movement of the tree and overall shape.

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If it was my tree, and I had these pots to choose from? I would definately pick #1

-Troy

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Definently number one,others ibelieve are to feminine and plainfor the tree.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I prefer pot number 1. Awesome pine.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I came to this thread a little late, but thought it interesting to see the difference visualizing pot choices with the tree looking a bit bare with fewer needles and then seeing how it looked in it's new pot with full look. I think that gives it a totally different perspective. Initially it looked young and then more mature.

My thinking as i was looking at the different pots would have been something squarish with
soft corners. The tree in my mind is soft and feminen, yet strong and masculin in it's bark and design. So something that showed both sides seemed appropriate.

Always appreciate that folks are willing to share photos and learning opps. Thank-you :)

Top Bottom