Help with juniper

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score
I purchased a juniper about a month ago and these species usually form long shoots for growth. But mine aren't forming those shoots and the tips on the foliage situated on the upper part of the tree are turning brown while the lower part looks totally healthy.I've provided images of the tree and also included pictures of similar junipers in the end.IMG20230102132334_00.jpgIMG20230102132323_00.jpgIMG20230102132238_00.jpgIMG20230102132313_00.jpgf29a700a-65f6-47e5-9555-9ee502896d4d.jpg756cff0e-4bf3-4892-a894-243b688fff2e.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20230102132324_00.jpg
    IMG20230102132324_00.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 15

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
What type of juniper do you have here?
Foliage looks nice.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This juniper has been pruned, so those shoots are gone at this moment.
It will make new elongating shoots in spring.

Just to be sure: you're not keeping it indoors, right?

If there's a huge spider mite problem, sometimes they don't produce elongating shoots because the tips keep dying from the damage. But that's usually not a problem in cold winters.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One thing is that they do not like being indoors.
Second thing could be roots staying too wet, and/or having dried out too much
Third thing I see is potential fungal infection on some tips (Which alternativey could be a roots issue too)

Runners only form if a tree is healthy and growing well. You are in the phase of figuring proper care to keep it healthy. After that, worry about runners.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't see any fungal infections, I do see spent female flowers.
Sure, bit of mildewy white on the bottom, but that can be salt buildup from watering as well.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I purchased a juniper about a month ago and these species usually form long shoots for growth. But mine aren't forming those shoots
It's Winter! Trees not growing in northern hemisphere now:rolleyes:. As asked already tree is not indoors is it?

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Looks like the scales are broken where they are brown, i.e. cut/pinched. Also, Junipers grow slowly. I have one that I've owner for over a year that hasn't thrown long shoots yet. It grows but more evenly, and likely will eventually elongate.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Those junipers look very healthy to me in general. The denseness of the foliage suggests it's a some Chinese Juniper cultivar. Dense foliage is great for bonsai, but it can also attract spider mites and fungal issues if they don't get good air flow. Makes sure your junipers are getting lots of fresh air and (outdoor) sunlight. If you think it's got some pests, try a general pesticide first and/or a fungicide reccomended for conifers. I've heard some pros reccomend Mancozeb (fungicide) for junipers. Neem oil is not generally recommended for junipers because the oil can cause foliage burns in warm weather. Good luck with your trees!

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

As some other I dont see a major issue for now.
Junipers mostly depends on their foliage but on your tree only the top part seems affected.
With trees in general roots comes first and then foliage after so the tree might have lost some roots (this is just a theory) foliage is reprensenting the root ball conditions.
Can you tell us more on the substrate/pot the tree is in?

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi!

As some other I dont see a major issue for now.
Junipers mostly depends on their foliage but on your tree only the top part seems affected.
With trees in general roots comes first and then foliage after so the tree might have lost some roots (this is just a theory) foliage is reprensenting the root ball conditions.
Can you tell us more on the substrate/pot the tree is in?
The substrate is organic soil and I'm planning on fertilizing it this spring with osmocote

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score
It's Winter! Trees not growing in northern hemisphere now:rolleyes:. As asked already tree is not indoors is it?
I live near the equator where the average temperature during winter is 22°C/71.6°F and lows of 14°C/60.8°F. It's not indoors but not in totally open area because I feel like the midday sunlight is too harsh here. So it gets about 4-6 hours of sunlight everyday.

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score
Those junipers look very healthy to me in general. The denseness of the foliage suggests it's a some Chinese Juniper cultivar. Dense foliage is great for bonsai, but it can also attract spider mites and fungal issues if they don't get good air flow. Makes sure your junipers are getting lots of fresh air and (outdoor) sunlight. If you think it's got some pests, try a general pesticide first and/or a fungicide reccomended for conifers. I've heard some pros reccomend Mancozeb (fungicide) for junipers. Neem oil is not generally recommended for junipers because the oil can cause foliage burns in warm weather. Good luck with your trees!
Thanks for the recommendations and advice. Have a nice day.

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations and advice. Have a nice day
Is cypermethrin+chlorpyrifos okay to use?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live near the equator where the average temperature during winter is 22°C/71.6°F and lows of 14°C/60.8°F. It's not indoors but not in totally open area because I feel like the midday sunlight is too harsh here. So it gets about 4-6 hours of sunlight everyday.
Junipers naturally live in very harsh sunlight conditions. Unless against a south wall should not worry;).

Top Bottom