Help with juniper

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score
Junipers naturally live in very harsh sunlight conditions. Unless against a south wall should not worry;).
But when I placed my juniperus procumbens nana in the open last spring till start of summer I did notice some sun sunburns on the leaves and later moved it to a shady place and it looks much better now. Is the tolerance level different for different types of junipers?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Junipers naturally live in very harsh sunlight conditions. Unless against a south wall should not worry;).

Full sun near equator is MUCH more intense than full sun at Eugene, Oregon, USA. The OP is correct providing some shade at high noon in equatorial tropics.

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score
Those junipers look very healthy to me in general. The denseness of the foliage suggests it's a some Chinese Juniper cultivar. Dense foliage is great for bonsai, but it can also attract spider mites and fungal issues if they don't get good air flow. Makes sure your junipers are getting lots of fresh air and (outdoor) sunlight. If you think it's got some pests, try a general pesticide first and/or a fungicide reccomended for conifers. I've heard some pros reccomend Mancozeb (fungicide) for junipers. Neem oil is not generally recommended for junipers because the oil can cause foliage burns in warm weather. Good luck with your trees!
Could you tell me how to prune (necessary amount of foliage)from a juniper so that it gets good air flow? I'm not trying to get rid of a huge percentage of the foliage. And also I don't care how it looks for now, I'll give it it's first styling after a year or so I guess.

Top Bottom