Help! with JWP......

bonsaiguru

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello everyone, this is my first time on this site. A little about me, I live in Pinole, CA and have been doing bonsai for about 7 years. I mainly have conifers. I am no expert and just got into conifers about 3 years ago. I have work on a lot shimpaku junipers and a few black pines. I have a few JWP that I got as started seeds that were already grafted. I recently purchase two JWP that were imported in 2008. One of them started good, but some of the new growth from the top has started to die off and dry up. The middle and bottom growth is doing great. I removed all the fertilizer cakes and have not fertilize it since. I been trying to figure what it could be and I need help to determine the problem. I doubt it is root rot as I am careful on watering, but I could be wrong. Attach are pictures of the tree and the dying area of it. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions

Attachments

• P1010384.JPG
    P1010384.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 91
  • P1010385.JPG
    P1010385.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 82

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hello everyone, this is my first time on this site. A little about me, I live in Pinole, CA and have been doing bonsai for about 7 years. I mainly have conifers. I am no expert and just got into conifers about 3 years ago. I have work on a lot shimpaku junipers and a few black pines. I have a few JWP that I got as started seeds that were already grafted. I recently purchase two JWP that were imported in 2008. One of them started good, but some of the new growth from the top has started to die off and dry up. The middle and bottom growth is doing great. I removed all the fertilizer cakes and have not fertilize it since. I been trying to figure what it could be and I need help to determine the problem. I doubt it is root rot as I am careful on watering, but I could be wrong. Attach are pictures of the tree and the dying area of it. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions

The best thing I have found to deal with this tree is an annual application of a mild fungicide such as Captan. I have grown JWP from seed for many years and have lost way more than have survived. Most died in a process just as you have described. I have also found that they do better with not quite so much direct sun light as many of the books suggest. Partial shade is better. But; do use the fungicide, and soon, or the tree will be gone by the end of summer.

bonsaiguru

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you....

Just put an order in for Captan. When do you actually put it on (Spring, Winter)? Yea, I noticed that JWP don't like too much heat, if fact the ones that I got partial shade actually do better then the ones I have in full sun.

I don't think I can save the two top branches, so in the winter I will transformer it with some jin and shari.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Just put an order in for Captan. When do you actually put it on (Spring, Winter)? Yea, I noticed that JWP don't like too much heat, if fact the ones that I got partial shade actually do better then the ones I have in full sun.

I don't think I can save the two top branches, so in the winter I will transformer it with some jin and shari.

As soon as you get the Captan put it on. Normally I put it on both fall and spring.

Top Bottom