Help with keeping hedera stump alive

Rastavan

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I retreived this ivy stump from my builders van when they replaced my fence, I was gonna dig it up with roots, but I have my hand injured and by the time I was gonna get them to do it, they had it out with basically no feeder roots at all. I have potted it up with spagnum moss and...garden soil as it was all I had. This happend 3 days ago. I live in the UK. I am misting it every day.
I would really like to get it to root and stay alive as I think it is a really interesting material, with the massive base and the 2 secondary trunks fusing toghether.
Please advise me what I could do to increase the chances of this staying alive

Rastavan

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I retreived this ivy stump from my builders van when they replaced my fence, I was gonna dig it up with roots, but I have my hand injured and by the time I was gonna get them to do it, they had it out with basically no feeder roots at all. I have potted it up with spagnum moss and...garden soil as it was all I had. This happend 3 days ago. I live in the UK. I am misting it every day.
I would really like to get it to root and stay alive as I think it is a really interesting material, with the massive base and the 2 secondary trunks fusing toghether.

Attachments

• 20190907_161132.jpg
    20190907_161132.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 52

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am working on a bougie stump right now. No roots at all. Created a mini green house for it. I wired it into a pot that it is going to stay in for about 4 years. Combination of akadama DE and pumice. I placed the pot into a plastic tub with 1 inch volcanic rock in the bottom so the pot would not sit in water. Wired an upside down tomato cage to the plastic tub and bent the wire legs into the center. Placed clear 50 gallon bags over the cage and closed it up. I have it in shade right now (108f yesterday) may help your stump?
20190904_215356.jpg
20190905_062043.jpg
20190907_083823.jpg
20190907_083806.jpg

Growth habits of bougainvillea VERY different than yours but might be worth a shot.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
+1 for a humidity tent if there's foliage still on the plant. If there's no foliage, then it probably doesn't matter.

The leaves will lose too much water through transpiration and won't be able to take up water if there's no roots. Misting and a tent will help alleviate the stress from desiccation. Like what @AZbonsai, keep out of direct sun while it's in the tent and keep it on until you see decent new growth.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That’s a mighty fine mini greenhouse you built.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is an ivy for goodness sake. You can't even kill them with herbicide. I doubt it will even notice the loss of roots so just give it some time.
That stump does have some really nice characteristics for bonsai so fingers crossed.

Top Bottom