Help with maple identification

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This is a tree that my mother had planted 12? Years ago as a seedling her friend had given her. Seeing as now she also lives in florida and the tree is in Pennsylvania, she wanted to share with me and possibly get the entire tree back!To my knowledge it has been left alone and just grown om it's own even though there looks like it has had some trunk chops to me. She was told it was a japanese maple but those have 7 pointed leaves rather than five? Anyway... the pictures I have are not great, they're random shots I convinced my dad to grab...not sure why he chose to take them at night, but this is all I have!

Anyway, can any of you gurus identify exactly what this is?

Attachments

• Resized_20181102_223010.jpeg
    Resized_20181102_223010.jpeg
    338.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20181106_214331.jpg
    20181106_214331.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 38

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's a Japanese maple. Idk if they survive in Florida cuz they need a certain amount of chill hours.

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Growing In florida was going to be my second question if I could get it identified. I'm definitely a bit new to this as a whole. I did some google research and couldn't find an exact match so I wasnt sure what my next step was to identify it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good luck trying to grow JM in Tampa. Not easy, expect slow death or decline if the tree survive initial collection and move.

Not really important on the ID. It's a Japanese Maple. Could be any number of varieties (there are hundreds). This is probably a run of the mill variety. Leaves and bark are not unusual.
https://www.mendocinomaples.com/jap...palmatum-acer-japonicum-and-acer-shirasawanum

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
Good luck trying to grow JM in Tampa
Agreed. In general you can grow tropicals in temperate/continental climates because "there are no seasons" and you can take them inside when needed but you cannot grow deciduous plants in tropical zones because they need to feel and adapt to the changing seasons.

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Well it looks like it will be living its life in Pennsylvania. I didn't plan on going up that way for anything any time soon.... maybe if I end up visiting at the correct time ill give it some love. Thanks for the help guys!

Top Bottom