Help with Millettia japonica

Larrytx

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have this Millettia japonica and the leaves are turning white. The soil is 1/3 pine bark, 1/3 decomposed granite and 1/3 gravel (3/8 in or smaller). I had it in a south window until Spring arrived. Our weather has been in the 70’s daytime and 50’s nighttime. It gets sun until late afternoon. I have not fertilized it and started using a moisture meter because I thought it might be chlorosis. The leaves continue to get worse as if they have been bleached out.
I will appreciate any help as to what I should do.
View attachment 424860

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So you just recently brought it outside from inside? If so, could be sunburn.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First off, why was it inside? Millettia is hardy to Zone 6. It is an outdoor plant. Keeping it inside for long periods can weaken it. North Central Texas (Dallas) is Zone 8 or at the very coldest Zone 7...This plant is very capable of being outside with its roots and container under mulch in those zones for the winter.

Low light, dry air inside aren't really great for it. I think if it has been inside for more than a week, that is your issue...It may drop all of its leaves as it readjusts to outdoor conditions. That process isn't all that great for it either. It will probably survive, but you're going to have to watch the watering and not mess around with it for a month or more...

Millettia LOOKS like wisteria, but it's not as fast growing or as sturdy.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also why are you using a moisture meter to detect chlorosis?

Larrytx

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First off, why was it inside? Millettia is hardy to Zone 6. It is an outdoor plant. Keeping it inside for long periods can weaken it. North Central Texas (Dallas) is Zone 8 or at the very coldest Zone 7...This plant is very capable of being outside with its roots and container under mulch in those zones for the winter.

Low light, dry air inside aren't really great for it. I think if it has been inside for more than a week, that is your issue...It may drop all of its leaves as it readjusts to outdoor conditions. That process isn't all that great for it either. It will probably survive, but you're going to have to watch the watering and not mess around with it for a month or more...

Millettia LOOKS like wisteria, but it's not as fast growing or as sturdy.
Thank you. I moved it outdoors.

Top Bottom