Help with my Bald Cypress

Ampersand

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, I live in the Chicago area and I currently have a bald cypress bonsai tree that ive had for about 5 months. Recently I noticed the leaves were turning a dark green and started to shrivel up. I Also recently moved it to my office sue to my apartment heater not working.
Any ideas on why this may have happened?

Attachments

• IMG-5022.jpg
    IMG-5022.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-5454.jpg
    IMG-5454.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 71

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I don't how hardy a bald cypress is, but it looks like it didn't get watered or it has been indoors to long. Try to give more detail in your questions, it will help us give better answers for you.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello, I live in the Chicago area and I currently have a bald cypress bonsai tree that ive had for about 5 months. Recently I noticed the leaves were turning a dark green and started to shrivel up. I Also recently moved it to my office sue to my apartment heater not working.
Any ideas on why this may have happened?

Moving from cool outdoors to warm, dry indoors with low light can be quite a shock. Similar to the issues you had with the succulent on the other thread. Bald Cypress can tolerate cold and in the ground are rated through USDA Zone 4, which is North of the Zone 5 in Chicago. You haven’t had a freeze yet, so I’d put it back on the balcony and figure out a way to protect it outdoors this winter. I’ve seen others in your situation use foam coolers to insulate the containers and wind/sun shades to moderate conditions on a balcony. A local bonsai club is a good resource for figuring out how to survive your climate.

Apartment growing and Chicago, make for a tough way learn this hobby. Maybe @sorce can provide some insight. He’s in your area and I think started in an apartment.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Chicago... you see some cold there. I've had bouts of hard freezes in my area at night. Living in a Microclimate.. I half wonder if you seen the same thing...and no good Frost's to prepare it for that shock. You can see I have done the two step with my trees because of no real frost to prepare them for that dramatic cold. They are tucked into my cold greenhouse. The tree on the far right...is my Bald Cypress. It's got nice green foliage. Always last to show fall colors.

Bringing it indoors...when these need dormancy is not the route I would have chosen. This cold greenhouse is set on 35F. So they can go dormant. I don't wish to warm them up.
IMG_20191023_204748963.jpg

Ampersand

Seedling
Reaction score
I don't how hardy a bald cypress is, but it looks like it didn't get watered or it has been indoors to long. Try to give more detail in your questions, it will help us give better answers for you.
Thank you for your response I was wondering why it had been shriveling up, I water it whenever the soil is dry and have rocks inside the blue pot with water. I was just curious about why the bald cypress's leaves would turn dark green. My bald cypress has well-draining soil as well.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Is there sitting water in the pot? Cadillactaste has much experience in your area, he/she will help you.
Indeed there is. When it goes into the greenhouse dormant the tray of water (no rocks) is emptied. But spring and through summer into fall. I keep it full of water and the pot sits in it.
IMG_20191004_170802669.jpg

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Very interesting and that doesn't drown the plant? Cool tree by the way!!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very interesting and that doesn't drown the plant? Cool tree by the way!!
For this species...they can grow in swamps. So no, the plant won't drown. I've seen more killed by lack of water.
Thanks...one of my top favs in my collection.

These do not grow indoors...that is a big no no... love this species. Wish you the best of luck.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Just as a piece of data to file away...... My buddy grows bald cypress in a big tub of muck....whatever was around his yard. He keeps the tree flooded above the soil level for a month or so, lets it drain for 2-3 days and floods it again. He currently has grown a single leader on a 3+" trunk base that is 1 1/8" in diameter and 6 foot tall this summer. Don't be afraid of water with bald cypress.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Been doing it since 2016...the thread I started when it arrived on my bench.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bald cypress can take water and cold. However the cold hardiness depends on the original source. If it is from just about anywhere other than Florida they are pretty hardy but the Florida varieties reportedly cannot take the cold and will weaken and die over several years. I have one fromTampa and winter it in my unheated garage my others soend the winter under a pile of oak leaves. Some folks grow them in standing water but in the ground they will grow in medium wet conditions. If you let it completely dry out between waterings it probably died as a result. Also moving it into a dry heated setting it probably dried out and died. You could give it the scratch test to see if thee is anything green left under the bark and maybe nurse it through the winter but I bet if it is that stressed you have loved it to death. If you do not have a good outdoor location or unheated garage/shed to winter it in then it probably is dead too. Do a search here for other posts on growing and wintering bald cypress, thre have been many.

B6E7DE8C-85C2-42CC-86C3-002F4F666744.jpeg
Like I said they grow in standing water.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Ampersand sorry if this came across a bit hard ass but we get so many posts like this from folks who have failed to find out how to properly care for their trees and then love them to near death, then ask us how to save the when it is often too late. If there is any green tissue left under the bark this tree may yet survive as these can be quite resilient but I doubt you will see new buds until next spring. So please take some time to look at the various posts here on how to care for and winterize your tree, good luck.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just to be clear regarding BC, they won't stand being indoors for any length of time. Your comment that you moved the tree to your office because your apartment heater isn't working was pretty jolting. Given the choice, the tree would probably do better in the unheated apartment. Bottom line is, you need to site your tree outdoors all year long, except use an unheated garage or similar space if temps go below about 20F for any length of time.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need to clarify that by "any length of time" I don't mean you can't show a tree indoors for a few days. It was meant to suggest that continuous sitting of BC indoors is a sure way to kill them. Sorry for any confusion.

Top Bottom