Help with my Chinese Elm

Liamneeson007

Seedling
Reaction score
It has a chance but it is difficult to say how much of a chance. You said it still shows green when you scratch the trunk and branches which is a good sign.

The key right now is changing the conditions to a more suitable one (partial shade), patience, monitoring and careful watering when it needs it. Since it has lost a lot of its leaves, it won't use as much water as when it was full of leaves.

One good way to monitor when it needs water is to stick a wooden chopstick or dowel into the soil and leave it in the soil. Every day, take the chopstick/ dowel out and see how wet it is. Water the tree when the stick is almost dry.
Let's hope It'll recover, if it makes a recovery in a few months or whatever, I'll re-post it healthy again with it's leaves are out again.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thank you so much, you literally answered my question. I've gone on Reddit before and people kept telling me that they can be in full sun but I don't think they know the real heat now in these days.
Yeah, I have that problem too in southern CA. People told me "full sun" but I just feel it's too much for many plants here. I think part of it is that we get A LOT more sunny days than most of the rest of the country.

My chinese elm is doing MUCH better now that it's in partial shade.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It technically should be able to take zone 10 but that is growing in the ground. In a pot the roots are going to cook and the leaves and buds will toast as you have seen. I keep mine in full sun until about 1 pm then afternoon shade and I am in zone 7. On hot days it gets wateted twice and misted 2-3 times. That is with a well draining bonsai soil with about 20% pine bark. If you act fast you may get it to recover.

Top Bottom