Help with my first bonsai

Reaction score
Hello dear members. I was given this bonsai as a gift however the garden store they bought it from didnt know what kind of tree it was. Could you kindly tell me what is it as I would like to get to know more on it. The pot is a round one, pretty much like anormal pot, not a bonsai one (shallow). Should I repot it? Thanks in advance for your help. regards from the sunny island of Malta.

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 130

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I can't help you as to species; I just don't know tropicals that well.

But for us to give any other assistance, we'll need better pictures -- against a plain background -- from several sides.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm guessing that it could be a ficus ginseng.
You came to the right place, the people here will be able to give you the information you need.

Welcome

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello dear members. I was given this bonsai as a gift however the garden store they bought it from didnt know what kind of tree it was. Could you kindly tell me what is it as I would like to get to know more on it. The pot is a round one, pretty much like anormal pot, not a bonsai one (shallow). Should I repot it? Thanks in advance for your help. regards from the sunny island of Malta.

No doubt, it is a ficus. The first thing you will have to do next year (around March), is to prune the roots and plant it into new bonsai soil. I know that there are a few bonsai enthusiasts from Malta on this site, may be you can meet them, and they can teach you a few basic stuff.

By the way, I just finished reading a great book about Malta, it is one of my favorites. David Ball: Sword and the Scimitar.

See it here:
http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Scimitar-David-Ball/dp/0099457954

Regards,
Attila

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Those look nothing like Ficus leaves to me, they look more like Chinese Privet leaves to me.

Last edited:

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those look nothing like Ficus leaves to me, they look more like Chinese Privet leaves to me.

You know, you may be right. I was looking at those leaves for a long time, and they looked to thin and fragile for ficus leaves. Ficus leaves are more rubber-like. But then I thought that it may just be my imagination, and the picture is not the best.
If we had a view of the nebari, that would give a better indication, since ficus nebari at this young stage is very characteristic.

Good catch Ryan!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You know, you may be right. I was looking at those leaves for a long time, and they looked to thin and fragile for ficus leaves. Ficus leaves are more rubber-like. But then I thought that it may just be my imagination, and the picture is not the best.
If we had a view of the nebari, that would give a better indication, since ficus nebari at this young stage is very characteristic.

Good catch Ryan!

The veins on the leaves gave me the indication that these weren't Ficus leaves. Also the fact that, like you said, these leaves look a bit more "frail and flimsy" than the typical Ficus m. leaf.

Reaction score
I would happen to agree with Chinese Privet, Ligustrum...
Often sold as an indoor plant... would keep it outdoors
part sun, watch overwatering, as well as underwatering...
a tad testy... and keep an eye out for scale.
Good luck... I would suggest doing very little with it other than trying to maintain a good healthy tree...

Top Bottom