help with my Fukien Tea!

Reaction score
losing leaves. i live in texas and i water it 3to 4 days apart depending on top soil dry or not. i move outside for sun when i get as chance as much as possible. new to bonsai in general and also have a 7 year juniper thats doing great that i have only had for 5 months. but this tea tree is making me ughhhhhhh! i have resarched and so many dif ways of care its crazy! any list of steps in caring would be great. i know its dif for every one just need some direction plzzz. i got this at walmart and we just looked at each other and it was a pair ment to be! 15 bucks was a steal and i am so proud of this lil fella its killing me if im depriving it what it needs

Attachments

• DSC00482.JPG
    DSC00482.JPG
    525.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00480.JPG
    DSC00480.JPG
    478.8 KB · Views: 30

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In China it is a zone 9 plant. Outdoors.
Pot probably zone 10.

Soil [ for the Tropics, Trinidad ]
Is just a simple mix of 7 parts silica based gravel 5 mm
and 3 parts aged compost [ you can use peat moss as well]
Freely draining, but retains some moisture.

Full sun and our sun is more intense but your air tempeartue
is higher - Us - high 80's and a max at 93 deg.F around
April / May for 10 to 30 minutes.

Hunidity - 70 to 45 night to day [ Dry season - no rain ]
Back to the 80's with rain.
But we are also breezy.

Suggestion - take at least 10 cuttings and do observations.
They seem to need more practice on your side.
Here they grow like weeds.

They also sleep from Christmas until February.
Hopefully the others will jump in.
Good Day
Anthony

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
What soil is it in? (slow/fast draining?)
Where do you keep it?
How much sun does it get a day?
Where do you live?

the questions will help a lot if you want a better answer

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have the same tree that I got last summer. Get it out of that soil and into good bonsai soil. Mine was in 100% peat from Walmart with rocks glued on top. Move it outside for the summer, they can take as much sun as you can give. They like to be more wet than dry. Move it back in this fall when it starts dropping below 55 at night. Get a desk lamp with full spectrum bulb and timer. Give it 16 hours of light per day through the winter.
0CEA5C4F-0273-4B5D-92CF-0D951584BABD.jpeg

Bearded_Jiggs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
3to 4 days apart depending on top soil dry or not
Hi , I too am from Texas and am new to Bonsai and the tea tree (from Walmart) is actually the first tree I got, and ended up with a second from a workshop at Timeless Trees in Rosenberg (check them out if you can, great people and info). as mentioned above, definitely remove the glued on rocks and moss, and work on getting a better draining soil. I kept my first one in the walmart soil for about a month before repotting into a 50/50 pumice/lava mix, only watering when the top inch of soil was slightly dry. I don't want to say too much more for fear of giving incorrect info but that is what I have learned since April of this year, and both of mine are still pushing new growth (including small flowers!) so they seem happy. Best of luck!

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They like stabliliby, don't move them so much and don't go on walks to the park with them.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They like stabliliby, don't move them so much and don't go on walks to the park with them.

Where you been!?

Haaay!

Welcome to Crazy....

Climb all the way up Jacob's Ladder.....

Now we gotta climb Simon's Fence!

Sorce

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
they are picky with being moved about and they dont like drafts or sudden changes in temperature. basically find a spot and leave it there, turning every so often. what soil is it in? they like a bit more organic matter and good humidity

Top Bottom