Help with my Hawaiian Umbrella!!

Reaction score
IMG_4492.JPG IMG_4491.JPG IMG_4489.JPG IMG_4488.JPG IMG_4490.JPG
Hello anybody, I need help!
I've had this Hawaiian Umbrella tree since this past summer and until now it has been doing totally fine. Recently I have noticed the leaves starting to droop and get either dark green or brown. I thought this might be due to overwatering and I was going to try to deal with this on my own, but when I came to my tree today and saw all these leaves had fallen off, I decided to ask. When I had bought this tree, I was told to follow the instructions of watering the tree every three days by watering it until the water drains out from the bottom. I have been doing this since summer without problems. Also, this is the light I use sometimes to help out my tree since I live in the North East and can't really get a lot of light sometimes. When at all possible, I leave the tree by the window for the natural light.
Any suggestions would be so helpful and much appreciated!!!
Thank you!!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Welcome! You're probably keeping the soil too wet and that light may not be the best spectrum. Dry letting the soil dry out more.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with Ryan, probably over watering. In the dull days of winter, every three days may be too often. Best water meter is a finger dug half inch into the mix. Water as you were when barely moist. It could be daily in hot and dry weather or maybe once a week in cool humid weather. If you water to a calendar schedule, you are guaranteed to be off the needs of the tree much of the time.

Alternative cause of black leaves: some windowsills leak cold air, I have had tropicals get frost damage on my windowsills in subzero cold. Could this be the cause?

Warmth loving plants tolerate cool and dry better than cool and wet. The cold and wet is ideal for diseases & rots to set in.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'm with Leo, it got too cold. Also while inside you can let these get pretty dry. Put a bamboo skewer in the soil and only water when it's on the dry side.

(Outside in the summer they can handle a good amount of water.) Watering should not be done on a schedule, water when needed.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello anybody, I need help!

I agree somewhat with @Redwood Ryan and @Leo in N E Illinois but will add a little more detail -

Ours is a rescue from her Office. It gets 16 ours a day of indirect full spectrum T8, stays at 72F, humidity at 55 percent. It is in organic mix that drains good and I water it every 5 days normally although I let it go another day or two if the top of the soil is damp. It seems to be a bit drought tolerant indoors because when outside it gets a good soaking daily. As for foliage dropping I notice some drops and they are replaced, but normal. I also see that happing most often between watering indoors when the soil is moist - does no harm and looks just fine with normal cleanups.
Seems to me yours gets foliar watering and here also causes leaf drop(water spots on most of the foliage). The water gets captured at the branch bases causing the problem as does with Succulents and some other plant varieties. Water the surface of the soil to eliminate the issue.
Our room has constant gentle air circulation which is ok because the temperature is constant - if your plant is near a window that cools a lot at night or in a drafty area near a door or similar it will also cause some foliage to drop.

Grimmy

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom