Help with my satsuki azalea!

Slmr38

Seedling
Reaction score
Please go to your profile and put this in, so it'll appear under your name, and people can help you better. You've been given great advice for your azalea, hope it rebounds fast for you. You can get kanuma from House of Bonsai on ebay if you can't find it locally.
How do I add that to my profile? I can't find where to do that!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think the lighter colored foliage on this one is just new growth, the older growth appears to be dark green, it would be nice to see a picture in natural light. Kanuma is not necessary to growth healthy azaleas, and it is expensive. You can get the same results with lava and pumice, mixed with a little fir bark. Adair is right, I would be a great idea to seek the club out, or @markyscott , and let someone see it in person.
You’re right, kanuma is not “necessary”, but it is the best for satsuki. A bag is probably $30 to $35, and there would be enough to repot that tree 4 or 5 times. So, really, not that expensive.

Slmr38

Seedling
Reaction score
You’re right, kanuma is not “necessary”, but it is the best for satsuki. A bag is probably $30 to $35, and there would be enough to repot that tree 4 or 5 times. So, really, not that expensive.
I found some and ordered it off Amazon today, it should be arriving tomorrow. I also ordered turface mvp and pine bark, wasn't sure what exactly I needed so i got all of it. I'm going to repot it once everything arrives tomorrow. Can I trim the roots with regular scissors? I don't have any of the specific bonsai tools.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh no! You mentioned the ‘T’ word!

That kills this thread’

Donate the ‘T’ stuff to the local little league to use on their pitcher’s mound!

The pine bark stuff, you can use as mulch around your shrubbery around the house.

Neither should be used in a bonsai pot!

(I’ve been banned from posting in soil wars threads. I’ve overstepped mmy quota already!)

Slmr38

Seedling
Reaction score
Oh no! You mentioned the ‘T’ word!

That kills this thread’

Donate the ‘T’ stuff to the local little league to use on their pitcher’s mound!

The pine bark stuff, you can use as mulch around your shrubbery around the house.

Neither should be used in a bonsai pot!

(I’ve been banned from posting in soil wars threads. I’ve overstepped mmy quota already!)
Hahaha. So just the kanuma? ?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Click on your name and go to your profile page, that should take you to a place you can put your location in. Kanuma is a great tool for anyone with water issues.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hahaha. So just the kanuma? ?
Yes, I do all my azalea in straight kanuma. Seive it to separate it into sizes. The largest can be used to just barely cover the bottom of the pot. Then use the middle size for the rest of the pot. The smallest is probably too small to use for anything.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kanuba is strange stuff. It’s white when dry. Then turns yellowish tan when wet. If you don’t like that color, don’t worry, it’ll moss over on its own pretty quickly. Some people put a thin layer of spaghnum moss on top.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
@Mellow Mullet here are some natural light pics!View attachment 179821View attachment 179822

Im not sure why the leaves are photographing a little yellow looking, in person they are a nice light green.

I am certain that is just new growth and it will darken up as it hardens off. I saw where you bought kanuma, good luck with it. Turface is great stuff, too. Kanuma or Turface and pine bark, the results will be the same. Either way, I can see the soil better, and it looks like better soil is in order for this azalea.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
I found some and ordered it off Amazon today, it should be arriving tomorrow. I also ordered turface mvp and pine bark, wasn't sure what exactly I needed so i got all of it. I'm going to repot it once everything arrives tomorrow. Can I trim the roots with regular scissors? I don't have any of the specific bonsai tools.
Quality Feed and Garden on Main Street, Houston, carries kanuma.

Slmr38

Seedling
Reaction score
@Mellow Mullet @Adair M getting ready to treat the bugs today. The infestation looks worse today when I checked the soil. I'm heading over to Timeless Trees in Houston tomorrow morning to get help repotting so I figured I should kill the bugs first ?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
@Mellow Mullet @Adair M getting ready to treat the bugs today. The infestation looks worse today when I checked the soil. I'm heading over to Timeless Trees in Houston tomorrow morning to get help repotting so I figured I should kill the bugs first ?

That would be a good idea, that way, when repotting, you can see if there are any left.

Top Bottom