Help with P. afra bonsai foliage issues

Withmenumber1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This Portulacaria afra plant used to be way fuller, but for the last month a lot of the foliage has fallen and the tiny leaves that emerge afterwards don’t last long and/or are super thin/flat. Is this a watering or light problem? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 74DC49F0-8ED3-4233-BD4A-5FF84332C7A7.jpeg
    74DC49F0-8ED3-4233-BD4A-5FF84332C7A7.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 37

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bro. Pee!

Welcome to Crazy!

Good thing it ain't number 2!

Are you watering it? Watering it can be a problem!

Sorce

Withmenumber1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My username is a Star Trek reference, but I never thought about what else it would sound like... 😅😂

as for watering, I’m super afraid of over watering becauseI lost a tree because of that, so this guy is in a pretty gritty soil mix and an unglazed pot. I water it about once a week and haven’t noticed any shriveling leaves so I didn’t thinkit was under watered. But there’s still leaf drop.

You might be able to tell that I keep this guy indoors because I don’t have an outside space that gets enough light and I grow this one under a grow light (about 14 hrs/day).

Withmenumber1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Gotcha, thanks guys! I do have a couple of more intense grow lights in other places, guess I’ll move them there.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gotcha, thanks guys! I do have a couple of more intense grow lights in other places, guess I’ll move them there.
I don't know nothing about growing under lights, so I can't comment if it'll benefit from more light.
Those long extensions says it's not getting sun. The leaf drop is a show of it's stress.
I hope it recovers, but ultimately sun is best. Maybe...if possible, leave it with someone so it can get some sun.. It's very tough and can stay outside while it sees to itself.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Those huge leaves are a sign that it’s not getting enough light - P. afra will have fairly small leaves when it’s getting enough light. The elongated shoots are also indicative of low light. Also a sudden dropping of leaves can mean not enough water... or too much. If you over water the roots will rot and the tree will have no way of getting the water out of the soil. But P. afra is pretty tolerant of wet feet. So I’d assume you aren’t watering enough.

Top Bottom