Help with pine borer beetles PLEASE

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
So first confirm if these are them. I found 2 of these today on 1 large tree I recently worked on but the tree showed no signs of any larva burrowing inside while I was carving it. I saw another one, two days ago on the same tree and 1 on a different JBP today. I'll be going out every night to kill them if I see them on my trees. Anything else I should be doing?

IMG_20170711_224752.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Possible Asian longhorn beetle, but attennae are too short and body on the small side.

If you have wood or bark boring beetles you usually will see little piles of sawdust around the base of the tree.

If you are comfortable using chemical pesticides, any systemic neonicotinoid such as imidaproclid, sold as Bayer Tree and Shrub, will work. It must be a systemic, the type that is spread on surface of soil to be absorbed by the roots. Spray on pesticides won't be able to penetrate bark to get to the borers.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Possible Asian longhorn beetle, but attennae are too short and body on the small side.

If you have wood or bark boring beetles you usually will see little piles of sawdust around the base of the tree.

If you are comfortable using chemical pesticides, any systemic neonicotinoid such as imidaproclid, sold as Bayer Tree and Shrub, will work. It must be a systemic, the type that is spread on surface of soil to be absorbed by the roots. Spray on pesticides won't be able to penetrate bark to get to the borers.

Leo, Asian longhorned bettle are larger and have light blue rings on their antennas and light blue spots on their bodies.

They have the same basic body shape as this one, so I think your suggestion to use a systemic insecticide is smart. You do not want to take chances.

ValorG make sure to do the recommended follow up treatments, as these may have been adults laying eggs on your trees that have not yet hatched.

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
I just bought bayer tree and shrub in the granuole form and will be treating the trees. I think if they did lay eggs they will be hatching soon and I wanna make sure they die asap.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just bought bayer tree and shrub in the granuole form and will be treating the trees. I think if they did lay eggs they will be hatching soon and I wanna make sure they die asap.

Granular takes time to work because it relies on uptake via the roots. If you want something more immediate, get a spray.

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
I already have the liquid bayer would it be overkill if I treated the roots with that AND put the granules at the same time? To get immediate effect and a long lasting slow release one.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Lost my battle with them. Had two black pine prebonsai. Beetles moved in and killed some large 60 year old pines i had in the yard(10 or so). They also went after the bonsai pines. I have over 40 mature pines on my land and still have signs the beetles are still present. No more pine bonsai for me for a while.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@ValorG

I just noticed that you are on Long Island. Are you worried that this is the southern pine beetle that has invaded the area in the last 2 years?

The answer is no, it is not the southern pine beetle.
Those look like this:
http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/trees/southern_pine_beetle.htm

It isnt an Asian Longhorn Beetle either. Those do not attack pines. They attack deciduous trees.

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
Lost my battle with them. Had two black pine prebonsai. Beetles moved in and killed some large 60 year old pines i had in the yard(10 or so). They also went after the bonsai pines. I have over 40 mature pines on my land and still have signs the beetles are still present. No more pine bonsai for me for a while.
That sounds horriblee :( Sorry to hear that.

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
@ValorG

I just noticed that you are on Long Island. Are you worried that this is the southern pine beetle that has invaded the area in the last 2 years?

The answer is no, it is not the southern pine beetle.
Those look like this:
http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/trees/southern_pine_beetle.htm

It isnt an Asian Longhorn Beetle either. Those do not attack pines. They attack deciduous trees.
OOo thanks I feel a bit better. I was just worried that they were some sort of pine borer. Hopefully they arent, but ill still play it safe and use the insecticide.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Arhopalus productus

That certainly looks like a closely related species. But everything I can find says that one is on the west coast. The OP is on the east coast. Also the wing covers on the one you posted have lines of hairs or ridges. The bug in the OP, has smooth wing covers.

I swear I have IDed this critter somewhere before. I just can't find it now.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That certainly looks like a closely related species. But everything I can find says that one is on the west coast. The OP is on the east coast. Also the wing covers on the one you posted have lines of hairs or ridges. The bug in the OP, has smooth wing covers.

I swear I have IDed this critter somewhere before. I just can't find it now.

From the OP's pic it's dark but at the top of bug's back I see the ridges so i figured it was Arhopalus productus.

I still could be wrong though I'm no expert on bugs.

I lived on Long Island through high school and college and I can swear I remember these beetles but then again so many look so similar!

When you had to ID it before was it in your garden or you did for someone else asking?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
From the OP's pic it's dark but at the top of bug's back I see the ridges so i figured it was Arhopalus productus.

I still could be wrong though I'm no expert on bugs.

I lived on Long Island through high school and college and I can swear I remember these beetles but then again so many look so similar!

When you had to ID it before was it in your garden or you did for someone else asking?

I had a side job doing insect ID for insects found on one of our local beaches for a monitoring program. You're correct in that so many look very similar. I could be confusing this one with another one as well.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Malathion will eliminate the suspects...

Grimmy

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Malathion will eliminate the suspects...

Grimmy
1tj9nn.jpg

Top Bottom