Help with Pine I.D. please

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
My sister has this pine that she has had for some time and is thinking of giving it to me. I have three pictures and hope someone can help with ID. It is a two needle pine by the way. I was thinking it looked like a mugo, but it has some pretty long needles too, so not sure. Thanks for help.

Attachments

• IMG_3051.jpg
    IMG_3051.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3052.jpg
    IMG_3052.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3053.jpg
    IMG_3053.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 56

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Working on getting more pictures. Can we consider Shore Pine as it is a native tree in her area

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
It is difficult to separate one 2 needle pine from another. You might have to wait for pine cones to be certain. The history of the tree might provide a clue. Many nursery shaped trees are mugo or Scots pine. Fortunately care is similar.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lodgepole is out your way and could be a candidate but the branches do seem to have some orange hue to them. Gun to my head, had to guess, I'd say scots but like Leo said cones would help big time.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Anyone know where one can buy pre-bonsai Shore pines or Scotts. I have looked at some Nursery Scotts and they were terrible. The only Shorepines I have found were 5-8' tall. Help appreciated. Peter

Gaijin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anyone know where one can buy pre-bonsai Shore pines or Scotts. I have looked at some Nursery Scotts and they were terrible. The only Shorepines I have found were 5-8' tall. Help appreciated. Peter
Driftwood Bonsai Nursery. Shore pine. They are in the PNW and sell shore pine pre-bonsai.

Top Bottom