Help with Podacarpus choice

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Saw these today and wondering which one is best.

Screenshot_20190817-184322_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190817-184350_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190817-184408_Gallery.jpg

All have nice trunk base, 3rd one has nicest base but maybe a bit of taper close to the cut branches?my overall favourite is number 2.
Which one would u pick?
Thanks

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
2 or 3 but it is really hard to judge the entire tree without any phots that actually show it! You need to step back and take a real photo of the tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I think #2 is the best looking one of the 3 but you can’t see much in any of them.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One, 2 and 3. If you must pick just one then 2 would be pretty good pick;).

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for ur help, picked up tree number 2 yesterday. Will start a new thread for help on styling... thank you.
View attachment 258692

If you can get these, you'll have better success than with the Mugo and some of the other "Pines" you have.
I've heard these referred to as "Chinese Yew" and you can see the foliage is quite similar. Much more zone friendly and should do well. 'Course that depends on you.
Glad that you've found something that will keep you interested. And will grow and progress for you!!🥳

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Indeed very happy to have gotten the first half decent tree, but honestly it wasnt a tree I was on the look for. My main interest is still for a really nice olive, pine and cedar as difficult as they are to find here I'm hoping I'll find something nice with time.

I have already gotten the podocarpus N 2, I'm having second thoughts on the podocarpus 3 for above reasons and also from a learning perspective Its close to one I got, so itll only be one more tree in the garden.

Top Bottom