Help with possible Maple issue!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a Maple bonsai tree and I'm worried that I might have an issue with it based on the looks of the leaves. I just noticed this about two weeks ago thinking I might not be watering it enough! I have had the tree in its current pot for about a year and few months! I'm new to bonsai and have been watching the the threads about not using potting soil and I hate to say but I'm using it! My plan is to repot it next year with a good bonsai soil. But for now I'm concerned about how some of the leaves are starting to turn in and looking like they might be getting to much sun or not enough water. I have also kinda theorized that it might be that my bonsai table is to close to the house and the sun light is reflecting on my house and burning the leaves. The trees get really good sun from sunrise till around 1and than have afternoon shade. I usually water twice a day once in the morning and after work I have been watching when I water to make sure water is going through the drain holes! So if you guys have any thoughts please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_0814.JPG
    IMG_0814.JPG
    396.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0815.JPG
    IMG_0815.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 53

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
interesting! If I gave you my advice it'd be the blind leading the blind, as I'm a beginner myself BUT.. I can't help but weigh in .. morning sun until one doesn't seem like too much sun to me. I keep my maples in full sun all day with no ill effects. possibly root bound and exhausting water supplies in the pot?? eat all that with a few grains of salt

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yea that actually crossed my mind as well. I got good growth this spring. Also add that I have started miracle gro about every two weeks. Thanks for your thoughts!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Odd that it has made it a year....

But potting soil...

And 2 waters a day....

Sounds too much wet.

I could likely get away with 3 days to a week in potting soil before watering.

More information!

It early in the year...
I would almost cut it back hard and repot it now, while the moon is Right.

It'll slow down....
But it needs out of that soil IMO.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I bought it from a nursery and it was in potting soil in a standard nursery pot! I let it grow in there for the first year no problems that I could tell and than I reported it and worked on the roots last year but put it back in potting soil. Basically kept the same watering method the whole time. The soil seems to absorb the water even with two times a day. I'm in NC so here in the next few few weeks temps will be in 90's pretty consistently for the next few months. I usually just let the rain water the leaves I don't hose it down or anything I directly water the root ball. These photos are its progression from the leaves coming out. The last picture was from about a month ago or so!

Attachments

• IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    340.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG