• Leave it in the Anderson flat

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
This pine was dug up by Driftwood bonsai a few years ago. It is been in the Anderson flat since been dug up. It was styled last May. I am looking to report it this spring.

I tried to take pictures of the different pots I think would work for this tree. The pictures are a little deceptive they make the pots look bigger than they really are. At the planting angle it is about 24 inches tall with the trunk about 2–3 inches.

D is a mica pot. Planting angle is pretty close to what it will be. Pot position is still undetermined. I’m open to suggestions.... if you have other pot suggestions let me know. These are just what I have right now.
E19902D7-D622-449E-8852-09081ABE2C97.jpeg7CD5526D-B364-4975-8F1F-FDF429B85B13.png9FE8B371-621E-47C3-ADBB-F5854F78CF8B.png7EEA8229-AA5A-44A1-A236-73B2F5CB8B30.png66DB14D2-89A2-430F-9D6E-AA251EEFB3A8.png12C90253-9001-4338-B173-922C6CDC2B45.png

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I'm feeling the last one, which is A. I know you said they look bigger and maybe that's why I'm having a hard time with the others. I can see it in a crusty shallow nanban, maybe that's why A is so much more appealing to me

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I voted Anderson flat as none of the pots was what I would call a ''good'' choice. If I absolutely had to choose a pot from ''the list''. I would choose E. But I think you need a rectangle, with rounded corners, not an oval. And ideally the type that comes to mind has a ''obi band'' wrapping around the middle of the rectangle. Little or no lip. Feet that are indented from the outside edge of the pot, but not very large, so the pot is lifted up a little. The rounded corners and the underslung feet would let the image float. The pot in E is to heavily grounded to the earth. Those feet are planted, rock solid looking. Which is great for certain trees. This tree is masculine with just a touch of femininity. Only 5% Rue Paul. Pot should match.

Just my 2 cents.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
haha like leo's mash up. I have to admit those pots all seem a bit large for the tree. Unless of course the roots can't handle anything smaller and this is just an in-between size.

option E seems closest to the 2/3's rule. but is maybe an inch or two too wide

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I voted Anderson flat as none of the pots was what I would call a ''good'' choice. If I absolutely had to choose a pot from ''the list''. I would choose E. But I think you need a rectangle, with rounded corners, not an oval. And ideally the type that comes to mind has a ''obi band'' wrapping around the middle of the rectangle. Little or no lip. Feet that are indented from the outside edge of the pot, but not very large, so the pot is lifted up a little. The rounded corners and the underslung feet would let the image float. The pot in E is to heavily grounded to the earth. Those feet are planted, rock solid looking. Which is great for certain trees. This tree is masculine with just a touch of femininity. Only 5% Rue Paul. Pot should match.

Just my 2 cents.
I appreciate the input. I can’t really picture the pot. The tree has some great roots that are above the ground that I would like to show off. I think a larger pot would do now. Eventually I would like to get it in a smaller pot
I agree it is a more feminine tree

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First choice is A and second is B. Just my 2 cents.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think you need a rectangle, with rounded corners, not an oval. And ideally the type that comes to mind has a ''obi band'' wrapping around the middle of the rectangle. Little or no lip. Feet that are indented from the outside edge of the pot, but not very large, so the pot is lifted up a little. The rounded corners and the underslung feet would let the image float.
Are any of these 3, similar to the above criteria?
https://www.walsall-studio-ceramics.com/glazes/unglazed-brown-textured-finish-pot/
3rd pot 1st row

https://www.mudmanbonsai.com/collec...ots/products/unglazed-bonsai-pot-10-ugr10-06r

https://www.kaizenbonsai.com/quality-unglazed-rectangular-bonsai-pot-hcp421

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This pine was dug up by Driftwood bonsai a few years ago. It is been in the Anderson flat since been dug up. It was styled last May. I am looking to report it this spring.

I tried to take pictures of the different pots I think would work for this tree. The pictures are a little deceptive they make the pots look bigger than they really are. At the planting angle it is about 24 inches tall with the trunk about 2–3 inches.

D is a mica pot. Planting angle is pretty close to what it will be. Pot position is still undetermined. I’m open to suggestions.... if you have other pot suggestions let me know. These are just what I have right now.
View attachment 223404View attachment 223406View attachment 223409View attachment 223407View attachment 223408View attachment 223405
I vote for the anderson flat on the following basis.
First and foremost i would want to transition the rootball to the new planting angle first, firming up the structure and shape for a more confined pot. The anderson flat is very easy to erect fence for extra depth on one side while tilting to the correct angle, then reducing one side while the other side fills in.
( this is based on judgement from the pictures that the planting angle is still a ways off)
2. Not too excited by the choices offered!
Would prefer to see more of this style, color more of a deeper red/brown.

Attachments

• IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1267.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 79

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I like the first pot, that’s is what I envisioned.

I am not in love with any one pot but it is what I have. I am leaning towards A or E. I think A will give it more space to aid in getting it to the correct angle.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A is a stunning pot and I think you have answered your own question. You wouldn't consider selling pot B would you?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I vote for the anderson flat on the following basis.
First and foremost i would want to transition the rootball to the new planting angle first, firming up the structure and shape for a more confined pot. The anderson flat is very easy to erect fence for extra depth on one side while tilting to the correct angle, then reducing one side while the other side fills in.
( this is based on judgement from the pictures that the planting angle is still a ways off)
2. Not too excited by the choices offered!
Would prefer to see more of this style, color more of a deeper red/brown.
This is the color that i am suggesting and another pot style that suits collected Shore Pine. Note how the bark is highlighted by the pot color. In your original post you also asked for other suggestions that might work.

Attachments

• IMG_9231.JPG
    IMG_9231.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 82

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
This is the color that i am suggesting and another pot style that suits collected Shore Pine. Note how the bark is highlighted by the pot color. In your original post you also asked for other suggestions that might work.
That is a great color. I see what you mean about highlighting the bark.
Thanks!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You need to get a lot together more than pot choice. You really need to work on your wiring, it looks like my wire jobs a few years ago. You should go to the site Craftsy there is a free lesson on wiring that is gold and you and anyone else having trouble with styling learn something that will improve your trees 1000%. Until you can control your tree a pot is just a pot. I don't mean to be harsh but losing a good tree is a harsh lesson.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like the wiring on this tree, and the style is top notch.
A bit shiny is the pot, but love the colour.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You need to lean that sucker 20 degrees or so to the left - you don't want the lower trunk to be perfectly vertical.

Also... I think all of your selections are too deep for the tree.

option-F.jpg

I am recommending this pot based on where I think you are going with this tree. Right now the pot is too large... but I am assuming you are going to develop your foliage masses... If you want to pull the tree in, I would recommend a smaller pot... though not a deeper one.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I like the wiring on this tree, and the style is top notch.
A bit shiny is the pot, but love the colour.
Well--- then you need help too. The wiring is atrocious, I did not mean to get this graphic but you are doing the OP no favors by reinforcing that which needs to be changed.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well--- then you need help too. The wiring is atrocious, I did not mean to get this graphic but you are doing the OP no favors by reinforcing that which needs to be changed.
Thanks Vance. Just to be sure we're on the same page...
I was talking about the tree @River's Edge posted. Where can we improve on that? Please help.

Walnut oil just prior to the photo being taken! Probably should have rubbed it a bit more to depress the shine.
I figured it was the flash on the camera. Still like style and wiring on your tree.

Top Bottom