Help with repotting Big Tiger Bark Ficus

andrew561

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi, I am brand new to this forum and brand new to bonsai trees as well. I repotted this ficus but I might have made some mistakes and am a little worried.

This was a more shallow pot than it was in before so I sawed off a portion of the roots. There are some big stumps in the root ball that I have not taken off and these stumps prevent the tree from sinking deeply into the pot. I am wondering if this tree looks like it is deep enough in the pot.

I also filled the gaps in the pot with this 5 part rock soil. I added some to the bottom of the pot cause it made sense to me that there should be some soil in between the pot and the bottom of the tree. I have not tied down the tree with wire or anything. Will this cause problems in the future?

Does it seem like everything will be ok with this tree? I would like to do it right.

Thank you!Andrew

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 9.57.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 9.57.46 AM.png
    951.7 KB · Views: 172

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You will get more appropriate answers to your questions if you let people know generally where you are located. You can add that to your profile.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well you're in Ficus heaven, so your tree should love the location. Yeah, I probably would have gone with a larger pot this time, then step it down in the next repot. But Ficus can manage with a constrained root ball. You'll probably see extra aerial roots start, and maybe even roots trying to grow over the edges of your pot before too long.

Your tree has quite a large, healthy bunch of foliage there. You can cut that back now too. If you're looking for more trees, pot up your cuttings. You should be able to start lots more easily.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
yes Andrew Florida and ficus is a match made in heaven...
like Brian said: you can chop the foliage back hard with no adverse effect...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I wouldn't be worried.

I would find a wider pot for it and probably Repot it now, or even ground it if need be, maybe remove those couple straight trunks too.

The "banyan" style trees need some "landscape", a wide pot to drop aerial roots into.

IMO....the angles of the pot are too jarring when combined with the curvier roots, kinda exhausts the eye before even seeing the canopy.

Plus, that tree in Florida will probably end up another 3 inches out of that pot by fall.

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The pot is too small IMO. I would have chosen both a wider and a deeper pot.
It looks unbalanced and about to topple over such a small pot.

Also I will reiterate what others stated: You ALWAYS want to wire a tree into the pot.

andrew561

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses. I went bigger! And gave it a trim!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 12.13.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 12.13.48 PM.png
    860 KB · Views: 125

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you all for your responses. I went bigger! And gave it a trim!
I suggest study banyan style, before you chop it back more. Learn to study the trunk lines...then cut back with a purpose
With a goal in mind.
Study, do your homework...then rethink where you want with the thinning out and styling. Mine is under developed...but, I wish I had taken a before shot. It had outgrown my grow cart looking a lot like your own tree.

20210414_170901.jpg

andrew561

Seedling
Reaction score
I suggest study banyan style, before you chop it back more. Learn to study the trunk lines...then cut back with a purpose
With a goal in mind.
Study, do your homework...then rethink where you want with the thinning out and styling. Mine is under developed...but, I wish I had taken a before shot. It had outgrown my grow cart looking a lot like your own tree.

View attachment 372473
Ok, I will. Do you think I cut it back too far at this point?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ok, I will. Do you think I cut it back too far at this point?
Look through Adam Lavigne's blog on ficus. I think it will give you a good understanding what you are capable of doing when cutting back and setting the main structure to take this tree further. It's got an amazing start...and will be fun to take this one on it's journey.

Edit: Forgot the link. https://adamaskwhy.com/

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot looks better but the trim sure did bring attention to those straight trunks.

They are hiding everything good about this plant.

Sorce

andrew561

Seedling
Reaction score
Pot looks better but the trim sure did bring attention to those straight trunks.

They are hiding everything good about this plant.

Sorce
I didnt realize that was a negative thing. What would you do in my position about this?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Id plant it in a kiddie pool. Add more trees and make a whole scene!
Nice tree!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do the old Yoink and Yeet! Lol!

It kinda depends on what the bases are doing and offering.
If they're fused in nice, maybe just cut the trunks and leave the bases. You could also grow nice moving parts from new branches off low stumps.

If they're easy to pry out, Yoink and Yeet!

IMO...it seems they were added, then someone forgot to put movement into them.

The top part of that left one looks good to start a new clump tree from.

Blow a fart on em and they'll root for you!

Sorce

Top Bottom