Help with repotting Muranaka JBP

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
In December I bought a Japanese Black Pine from George Muranaka on eBay. It looks like it was put in the pot with the field soil it was growing in, probably some time last fall. I'm not all that taken with the sharp taper on the tree, and I know I have a lot of work to do with the branching, but that's not something I'll take care of in the next month, of course.
Now it's waking up, early like most trees in Alabama after an unusually warm winter. I'm thinking of repotting it soon, in large part because I killed the only other Muranaka pine I ever bought -- several years ago. I didn't repot it, so that wasn't the problem. Most likely I let it dry out too much.
But I have questions about the soil it's in and what I should be doing about the roots if I repot now.
Don't repot and keep it in this soil?
Repot and replace as much soil as I can? Be aggressive now?
Change the depth of the pot, or keep it planted in this pot and just replace the soil?
Change the depth and repot it in a good mix?
HELP?
IMG_5342.jpg IMG_5343.jpg

vicn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions. Obviously you choose what you think is best. You still want a lot of growth, and one friend thinks the best growth comes from the type of nursery soil you have. Holds fert longer, less often for water. But maybe in a pond basket so roots can stay contained? Maybe only bare-root 1/2? Good luck with whichever route you take!

Top Bottom