Help with sedum multiceps from seeds

ShadyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey all - I got some Sedum Multicep seeds a month back or so, had them in the fridge with some sphagnum moss and then transferred them to a small seed tray with a humidity cover. They took off instantly and grew really well for the first couple weeks but now they seem to have stalled and one of them died off. Ive been having a lot of trouble finding info online and wondering if anyone has experience with growing the species from seed? Ive been keeping them in the tray with the humidity cover on, so it stays pretty warm and wet in there but as an arid species im wondering if I should remove the cover at this point and maybe just mist them as necessary? Weve unfortunately had some funky weather here the last week or so and it’s been grey and smokey so not a ton of direct light. Ive also been keeping them indoors since it’s warmer and more consistent temperature. I’ll try to add some pics shortly but let me know what you guys think and thanks in advance!

ShadyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Begin leaving cover off for half a day for a week, then no cover. Move them outside, first in bright shade then after a week into part sun, then after a week or two full sun.
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I lost most of the seedlings. I got 11 out of 12 seeds to germinate, Ive got 2 that are still solidly growing and 1 more Thats 50/50. I took the tray top off about a week ago and stopped misting, the 2 that survived seem to be doing well. Do you know anything about their watering needs? The seeds responded super well to the humidity initially but I think it was too moist for them after maybe the first week. I guess most sedums don’t need much water so that was my mistake. They germinated super easily so may try again before our temperatures drop too much.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would move the tray outside, no cover and plant the rest of the seed in the tray. Sedum are an arid climate, near desert plant. They do not need, or want high humidity, they do not want mistings, rain once in a while is good enough for most Sedum. Keep the soil moist, but beyond that, no misting. at least a half day of sun.

Direct sun, with its UV light, kills fungi and bacteria. Sedum depend on a few hours of sun to keep fungi in check.

Top Bottom