Help with seedling ID

Gjpawl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi,

I found this one in the mulch ring around a Little leaf Linden, which clearly is not what this is. Thoughts on what it might be? Thanks in advance.IMG_1071.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like an elm to me, but not positive

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Zelkova Serrata... Japanese elm is my guess. Although that’s based on leaf shape, I can’t tell from the photo if they are opposite or alternate... if opposite then it’s not that (or an elm for that matter!) Welcome to BNut!

Gjpawl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the replies, my guess was elm too....although now Ryceman3's comment has me thinking as the leaves are definitely opposite as hopefully this photo shows. If nothing else time will tell as it gets larger.IMG_1072.jpg

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
The leaves are opposite for sure. Elms and Zelkovas have alternate leaves, but seedlings of certain plants can exhibit different characteristics until they get a bit bigger. Maybe wait longer to see if the leaves switch to alternate arrangement?

Also, this is why it is important to give your location, it will help us guess better.

Gjpawl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The leaves are opposite for sure. Elms and Zelkovas have alternate leaves, but seedlings of certain plants can exhibit different characteristics until they get a bit bigger. Maybe wait longer to see if the leaves switch to alternate arrangement?

Also, this is why it is important to give your location, it will help us guess better.

Thanks Melospiza, I'm in the southwest suburbs of Chicago.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
the leaves are narrow like zelkova BUT the extra tooth rules that out. I'm fairly certain it's an elm. If I'm not mistaken mine had opposite leaves when they were seedlings and will exhibit alternating leaves once they branch. It could be a third unmentioned genus/species but it's almost definitely not zelkova. @M. Frary is currently growing american elm from seed. Perhaps he'll grace you with a comment. If he doesn't know what an elm seedling looks like by now no one here will give you the answer

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The atumn/fall colours will be an indication too: the elms I know have yellow leaves in autumn whereas the zelkova leaves are in shades of orange to dark red.

Reactions: GGB

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
In the greater Chicago area, elm is the most likely answer. Which elm? The short list for this area is Ulmus americana, American elm, Ulmus pumila, the Siberian elm, Ulmus rubra, the Red Elm or Slippery elm. Possibly Ulmus thomasii - the Rock elm, noted for its hard wood. That is pretty much it.

The Siberian elm has the smallest leaf of any elm and is totally shade intolerant. Meaning you will only find seedlings growing in full sun.

The other 3 have larger leaves and these 3 can grow with some shade, though they all prefer full sun. Ulmus thomasii can have corky wings on its twigs, like the ''winged elms'' of the southern states, it is related to the cedar elm of Texas. The Slippery elm or Red elm, Ulmus rubra has downy fuzz on young twigs, the fuzz wears off before the first winter.

Zelkova and Chinese elm both are more ''southern trees'' they have not naturalized in the greater Chicago area. Both do better further south, though they are winter hardy enough to survive if planted deliberately as a garden specimen. They just have not spread and gone invasive in this area. The Siberian elm has gone wild and is a very, very common invasive of open fields.

All elms have leaves that can reduce to very small, all are excellent for bonsai. Even the American elm, which naturally will produce very large leaves, can in bonsai culture have very tiny leaves.

Gjpawl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Leo for the additional information!

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In the greater Chicago area, elm is the most likely answer. Which elm? The short list for this area is Ulmus americana, American elm, Ulmus pumila, the Siberian elm, Ulmus rubra, the Red Elm or Slippery elm. Possibly Ulmus thomasii - the Rock elm, noted for its hard wood. That is pretty much it.

The Siberian elm has the smallest leaf of any elm and is totally shade intolerant. Meaning you will only find seedlings growing in full sun.

The other 3 have larger leaves and these 3 can grow with some shade, though they all prefer full sun. Ulmus thomasii can have corky wings on its twigs, like the ''winged elms'' of the southern states, it is related to the cedar elm of Texas. The Slippery elm or Red elm, Ulmus rubra has downy fuzz on young twigs, the fuzz wears off before the first winter.

Zelkova and Chinese elm both are more ''southern trees'' they have not naturalized in the greater Chicago area. Both do better further south, though they are winter hardy enough to survive if planted deliberately as a garden specimen. They just have not spread and gone invasive in this area. The Siberian elm has gone wild and is a very, very common invasive of open fields.

All elms have leaves that can reduce to very small, all are excellent for bonsai. Even the American elm, which naturally will produce very large leaves, can in bonsai culture have very tiny leaves.
Do you know of a resource we can use to differentiate elm species?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Do you know of a resource we can use to differentiate elm species?
Illinois Department of Natural Resources - IDNR - and Illinois Natural History Museum - had put out a taxonomic key to the Identification of the Trees of Illinois. I don't know if the old book has been scanned and put on line. From the State of Illinois website, browse for the DNR and the Natural History Museum.

You can almost separate them using the information on Wikipedia, it is ''pretty good''. To really sort it out you need to observe whether the elm in question blooms and ripens seed in spring or blooms in autumn. As I noted above, the presence of corky wings on twigs is pretty much the key trait to nail down Ulmus thomasii, and the fuzzy late spring or early summer twigs will pretty much identify Ulmus rubra, the Slippery elm. But there is a key out there somewhere which will walk you through identifying from winter twigs.

All elms have fairly similar shaped leaves, so generally the leaves are not useful in sorting them out. The winter twig key is your best bet.

Top Bottom