Help with shaping

bjohns44

Seed
Reaction score
Pictures - I got this bonsai with no real experience with them. I don't really think this has the best shape I can get, but I don't know what would be a good shape for it. I would like to maybe have some sort of canopy with lots of aerial roots coming down, but I just don't know what to do. The one I have seems to have a lot more branches coming off the trunk than the ones I see online, but I am hesitant to cut them because I am not completely sure what to do

Would you trim more branches off it? How would you wire it? And any other tips or suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Most beginners are hesitant to prune so you are not alone there.
Most starter bonsai have far more branches than they need long term so taking a few off won't hurt. Branches should have some space between one and the next. leaving lots of branches growing close together usually leads to local thickening and bulges in the trunk which does not look good.

As to which to start removing it is almost impossible to pick from just one look at one side of a tree and more difficult when there are so many crowded close together.
I suspect that even if you just took off every second branch on that tree you would cause any long term problems with health or design options.

Start with the roots and try to find a spot with the best looking root spread then check how the existing branches and apex branches fit in with that as the front as a way of starting to make choices between the existing branches.

Growing seasons vary greatly so it helps if you add a location to your profile. You will get far better advice tailored to your local seasons if others can see where you live each time you post.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Feels like Florida.

Welcome to Crazy!

I'd let it grow till you know what growing very strong is, them make drastic decisions.

Sorce

Top Bottom