Help with Shimpaku

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
What would you do with this tree. It's time to repot but I wonder if I should keep the current semi cascade/slant style vs a more upright style...

The current front

IMG_0432_zps66cb5f64.jpg

IMG_0435_zps634d7843.jpg

IMG_0430_zpsd903f60d.jpg

IMG_0426_zpsa618b65a.jpg

IMG_0436_zps8b6d5f5e.jpg

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Different front

I like the other front much better. The colors on the trunk are great. I would get rid of some foliage to get a better view of the trunk. The tree is very healthy. Less foliage would create more movement, therefore more interest. Keep up the good work.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I like the current movement and planting angle. The base seems to be pretty well established as is too...

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
my issue with the current planting angle is the horizontal line formed by the lower trunk and vertical line formed by the upper trunk which is why i thought maybe a different angle would work better...

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Do you have any shots in the proposed angle?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It could work. Then would you pull the apex further left?

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I typically have the apex follow the character branch. Before first branch goes of the right, I would have the apex lean right...

Reaction score
IMG_0426_zpsa618b65a.jpgIMG_0426-2_zps75354d08.jpg
Why don't you split the difference, and go in between the two...
Seeing that you are only trying to eliminate the trunk running
parallel to the ground. This way only slight modifications need
be made.

Also, you need to go down a pot size if able...
Pot is too big.

Last edited:

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I vote for a more traditional moyogi angle like the flipped picture. Nice trunk and Shari, it could probably look good either way.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the current angle better than the proposed more upright one. I think the current back looks better than the front from what I can see in the pictures. A little wiring so we could see more of the trunk line and have a little more defined foliage would a better effect than changing the angle, I think. Also cleaning up the bark on the trunk a little bit.

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
With the current angle you can see the nebari and shari very well, but the foliage looks a little too overgrown for the tree. (IMO)

If you change the angle too much, I think you may lose some of the root base. It seems to be all on one side of the tree, also....

If it were mine, I would keep the current planting angle as much as possible. Maybe a SLIGHT change would be an improvement.? Just to keep the trunk from running parrallel to the soil line?

I think I would concentrate my efforts on re working the shari, jin, and thinning the foliage a bit. Heck, it might even benefit from a total restyling.

So, my 2 cents....

1.) Jin and shari work
2.) Thin out and possible restyle
3.) Change pot to accentuate the trunk
4.) Slightly change potting angle to enhance eye appeal.

-Troy

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd keep the current angle. If you're growing it out to invigorate the tree then fine. If not then the undersides of the branches need cleaning so we can see better pad definition. I'd also consider thinning & pulling the apex back to create some stability if you're going semi cascade, something like this:

Attachments

• juni semi cascade.jpg
    juni semi cascade.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom