Help with some IDs and tips for a beginner

not_sponsored

Sapling
Reaction score
So I picked up a couple trees not too long ago, one appears to be pretty healthy, the other looks like it has some browning in the underbrush, I'm guessing due to lack of sunlight or something, can you guys help me figure out what species these trees are so I can get more care information?

I think the first one is a cypress, not sure on what kind
HvnkE.jpg

CoyYC.jpg

lupe21

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
as for what species they are sir i do not know, but both are nice i really like the second one, maybe some of the veterans can help you id them

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I agree on the hinoke(dwarf), but my eyeballs are saying common juniper for the second.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bill's probably right on the juniper. My 50 year old eyeballs don't work as well as they used to...

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It looks like Chamaciperus Pisifera of some sort, AKA False Cypress. Boulavard Cypress is the best known of the species but it is definately Pisifera. The other does look like Hinoki. On closer look it is the fern leaved Hinoki Cypress.

Last edited:

not_sponsored

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks guys, The first one is definitely a hinoki cypress, I don't think the second one is a juniper, the needles are different than the junipers I've seen, I'll try get a close up pic of the needles if that will help.

Any suggestions to help with the browning? Should I remove it or just let it fall off?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks guys, The first one is definitely a hinoki cypress, I don't think the second one is a juniper, the needles are different than the junipers I've seen, I'll try get a close up pic of the needles if that will help.

Any suggestions to help with the browning? Should I remove it or just let it fall off?

The second one is Chamaecyparis psifera: one of its many cultivars. It is not a Juniper it is a False Cypress of which there are 8 cultivars available as of now. The first one is Chamaecyparis obtusa filicoides or the Fern leafed Hinoki Cypress.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If the needle doesn't have a white stripe running the length Vance is probably correct on this one. The second one that is.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here is a close up of the needles, thanks for the help guys.

kGO6Y.jpg

Chamacypris Pisifera, the only question is which cultivar. I guarantee I am right, I've worked on a few in my time. Does not back bud at all in my experience on old wood so you had better start pinching it back come this spring. If you don't, the growth will continue to advance outward leaving you with nude branches except at the ends. Watch for red spider mites, they really like this tree.

Top Bottom