help with tools set choice.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
In the market for a set of tools, not really there in bonsai yet so don't want to go crazy expensive and at the same time prefer not to buy 5 times.
wondering between these two sets

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Profession...-set-kit-MTBT-07-From-TianBonsai/263672206783
this one is a decent set for my use but is still lacking shears and root rakes

I checked buying sheers and root rakes standalone and it'll get more expensive than buying them in this set.

I can either go with the second set which I believe is low end and won't last long???
or go with both and have some duplicates.

or I can also go with first set and add couple of shears and root rakes for a little more in total and i believe they might be better quality ?

appreciate any thoughts or suggestions or anything yo uthink I'm still missing, if you have any better choice of kit please do share.
Thanks.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey,

I was in the same situation not that long time ago and I got some tools from them in stainless steel version, really solid and good quality, im please with them. I got them in their online store here:

but in relation to whole kit, i wanted to buy one as well but if you look closely you wont need all the tools at the same time, i decided to buy SS tools only what i need now, so i got shears, concave cutter, and the wire cutters, i was thinking about jin pliers but opted against, no regret so far(i had root rake already).

I hope that helps.

D

Deleted member 21616

depending on the trees you are working on, the sets you posted may have stuff you don't necessarily need right away, or at all. I personally avoided buying a tool 'set', and have instead been ordering my tools as-needed.

My first order was a basic pair of scissors (kaneshein 609) and a branch pruner (kaneshein 3A). After struggling through a repot, I then ordered a root hook, and concave cutters (which I use to remove roots under the base of trees). More recently I ordered long-handle scissors, because a friend sold me a tree that was more ramified than those I had been working on. While I thought I could use my ordinary workshop pliers to remove wire from trees, this spring I realized that I need bonsai wire cutters to help avoid damaging the bark when snipping off wire. So i added these to the list for my next order. I spend about $150 CAD per year, to give you an idea.

not really there in bonsai yet so don't want to go crazy expensive and at the same time prefer not to buy 5 times

Your question is sure to spark a debate. If you would like to read through a few different perspectives, there was some discussion here: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/how-do-you-feel-about-new-folks-with-expensive-tools.37331/

When I looked into this 3-4 years ago (both online, and in-person with pros), a lot of people seemed to agree that Kaneshin was a solid bang-for-your-buck tool. I have not found anybody who would disagree with this, even if they themselves use other tools. Kaneshein has excellent customer service, they are very helpful and honest, and packages arrive on time and without trouble.

I went with carbon, but they also offer stainless. I wipe down all my carbon tools with alcohol before and after every usage, and apply mineral oil before storing them in between uses. If you choose to go with carbon (kaneshein or not), don't forget to include this simple maintenance item, crean mate in your order:

Three products you might also want to get!

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
I have the same set as you pointed to on eBay but without wire. Paid approximately the same. While they work I still started adding more quality Japanese Kirakuni stainless tools: concave cutter, knob cutter and kama (for repotting). These individual tools do not cost that much - about 30EUR each. Nowadays I mostly use these...

Also in similar thread here someone said: Good tools are not cheap, cheap tools are not good ;-)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Jeramiah do you ship to Lebanon!?

Lol!

I keep forgetting you are from so damn far away MC.

Pretty sure Kaneshin ships to Lebanon!

Sorce

Jeramiah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a

I ship worldwide if people are willing to pay the price for shipping.

Kaneshin tools are some of the best in regards to quality. I have this 4 piece set that I put together with the tools that are great to have when just starting out. https://www.sumobonsaisupply.com/shop/4pc-kaneshin-bonsai-toolkit/

Kit includes
  • Concave Cutter
  • Pliers
  • Scissors
  • Wire Cutter

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score

Lol!

I keep forgetting you are from so damn far away MC.

Pretty sure Kaneshin ships to Lebanon!

Sorce

Not really if it's coming from Japan or China I might be closer for once :)

Thanks for the link to Jeramiah.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
I ship worldwide if people are willing to pay the price for shipping.

Kaneshin tools are some of the best in regards to quality. I have this 4 piece set that I put together with the tools that are great to have when just starting out. https://www.sumobonsaisupply.com/shop/4pc-kaneshin-bonsai-toolkit/

Kit includes
  • Concave Cutter
  • Pliers
  • Scissors
  • Wire Cutter

Can you please PM price of the followings shipped to Beirut-Lebanon or to Dubai

Appreciate any input if I missed any key items for a starter/intermediate kit

Thanks.

Jeramiah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Sorry for the delay. I will get on that right now.

Top Bottom