Help with tree ID

Danno

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, I bought this little guy at my clubs fall auction last year. It was labeled as a bouganvillea but after researching it, I'm not sure it is. I did a photo internet search and I'm thinking it might be an Orixa Japonica. It dropped all of it's leaves late in the fall and began leafing back out in early March. Any help with ID would really be appreciated. Thanks.
IMG_20200328_105410.jpgIMG_20200328_105504 (1).jpgIMG_20200328_105430.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It's a bougainvillea. I assume you are in a climate that you had to bring it in for the winter, thus the dropping of the leaves. Leafing out in March is also common for bougies overwintered indoors. Add your location to your profile, so everyone knows your climate to better assist with advice. Nice little bougie.

Danno

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a bougainvillea. I assume you are in a climate that you had to bring it in for the winter, thus the dropping of the leaves. Leafing out in March is also common for bougies overwintered indoors. Add your location to your profile, so everyone knows your climate to better assist with advice. Nice little bougie.
Wow, thanks so much Carol. I was so convinced it was not a bougainvillea. I'm in southwestern Wisconsin so yeah, it wintered over in a spare unheated bedroom (mid 50's f all winter). Thanks for the help. I'll update my profile now.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I manage to keep several of mine actively growing all winter with tons of light and a heated room.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Wow, thanks so much Carol. I was so convinced it was not a bougainvillea. I'm in southwestern Wisconsin so yeah, it wintered over in a spare unheated bedroom (mid 50's f all winter). Thanks for the help. I'll update my profile now.
They don't really need any kind of dormancy. I even get a stray bloom here and there in a southern exposure, with some grow lights. Typing at the same time @penumbra lol.

Danno

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I manage to keep several of mine actively growing all winter with tons of light and a heated room.
Good to know. It started dropping leaves while still outdoors when temps were getting into the 50's. That's when I brought it in. I must have been a couple of weeks late.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Once the nighttime lows drop below 50, mine come inside. I usually try to wean them from full sun and bring them up closer to the house when it's getting close to time to bring them in. We had an unexpected early cold snap this fall and I had to rush them in. They responded by throwing most of their leaves to the ground in rebellion.

Top Bottom