Help with Tree Identification

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Was helping a friend clean up and noticed he's got a bunch of the attached trees on his property and doesn't mind if I help myself (they are weeds to him). Can someone identify what these are? The first 2 pics are the same tree.

Attachments

• Yama2.jpg
    Yama2.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 49
  • Yama3.jpg
    Yama3.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Yama1.jpg
    Yama1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 49

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Difficult to tell from the photos. Can you get a better picture of the leaves? The third one looks like possibly something in the Rose Family, like a Plum, Cherry, etc.

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Totally guessing... first one is black locust and second one is choke cherry.
Black locust is a good call, but thought they had thorns. Not sure I want to work on black locust as a bonsai. Dont know anything about choke cherry.
Can you get a better picture of the leaves?
I'll update when they open up more.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It will be difficult to get accurate ID without fully open leaves so wait a few weeks then post here again with GOOD photos of bark, leaf and twigs.

bark on the 3rd has white spots - lenticels- which is typical of cherry and apples species. Let's see what the leaves look like but we may still have to wait for flowers for a final ID on that one.

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So here's a pic of the tree that I thought was black locust, but now that the leaves have opened I don't believe that is what it is. Ideas? I can provide addition pics later if needed.

Attachments

• NotBlackLocust.jpg
    NotBlackLocust.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 12

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The first one looks like baccharis halimifolia…. Aka sea myrtle, groundsel, saltbush. The interwoven bark and leaf shape are a dead give away. Unsure about the second one but the bark is cherry-ish

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like baccharis halimifolia
Great call, thanks. I think I'm gonna lay off the yamadori for a bit and learn some more, as I seem to be taking things needlessly and/or without knowing their uses in bonsai. I will read up on this species. Thanks again.

Top Bottom