Help with turning damaged maple tree into bonsai

Kendall

Seed
Reaction score
2 1/2 years ago I bought a beautiful 7-8' Japanese Maple from a nursery. When they delivered it the tarp was not secured properly and the tree was exposed to the wind. I fought hard with the nursery owner to replace the tree of refund my money. He refused. So as of last fall 99% of the tree had died. There are 2 small branched remaining that leafed out last year. I'm trying to decide if I should dig it up and turn it into a bonsai, or air layer the live branches and go from there. The branch on the left has some back budding the other does not. Overall health of what's left doesn't look too good. Maybe I should not even bother. I'm new to Bonsai so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_7704.jpeg
    IMG_7704.jpeg
    456.4 KB · Views: 76

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Best bet is probably to give it love this season, see how it grows, then ponder next year.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd let it alone to see what happens. It will probably recover if you just let it alone. The trunk isn't worth the trouble of digging it up and trying to make a bonsai. No taper, no nebari, possibly grafted.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
looks like its suited to being a garden tree at this point. id look for more suitable material.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think the is a bonsai in every tree. Some need not much work. Some need a little more help. Steps for this one are to try and regain health and vigor. At that point you can carve those stubs and Leave it where it is if this is a suitable position. Well draining and not full sun especially afternoon sun. If it's in a good spot and can grow back to good health then you can airlayer next couple years. After airlayer you can grow that airlayer a few years and then chop the top. Then you'll be at a good place to start.

Top Bottom