Help with Zelkova (bugs, soil, repotting)

Faysal

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all,

I picked up my first Zelkova. Here are some details:

-Indoor-kept, east-facing (I know, I know, but I live in a city apartment and I've had success with Chinese Elms indoors)
-About 9-inches tall
-Decent ramification
-Healthy, vigorous growth

Soil question: It's in standard potting soil, but I feel it retains water too much and I'm a big fan of the akadama-fir bark mixture. Will he do alright in that sort of soil?

Repotting: The tree's already growing and fast, but I don't want to keep it in the current soil. Is it too late in the season to put him in a new pot (perhaps if I don't trim the roots)?

Bugs: I noticed small insects buzzing around the tree from Day One. Gnats I think. There was a clump of some sort of long dry-ish moss wrapped around (not growing on) the base and the soil was covered in pebbles - I got rid of both, as I hate covering the soil with rocks and the moss clump had a couple of small bugs crawling around and seemed unhealthy for the tree. Will these removals - along with a repot into a better-draining soil - get rid of the gnat problem?

Thanks very much!

Faysal

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Would be VERY helpful if you update your profile to show where you are located and have a picture or two showing the plant and the insect:) Very difficult for anyone to answer otherwise. Welcome to B-Nut!

Grimmy

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Zelkova are vastly different than Chinese elm and will not survive indoors for any length of time. Add "potting soil" and ypou compound your problems.

The bugs are probably fungus gnats, which indicates that your soil is staying MUCH too wet. Water only when soil is almost dry under the surface, and move the tree to a very GRANULAR soil that drains rapidly.

Faysal

Seedling
Reaction score
Zelkova are vastly different than Chinese elm and will not survive indoors for any length of time. Add "potting soil" and ypou compound your problems.

The bugs are probably fungus gnats, which indicates that your soil is staying MUCH too wet. Water only when soil is almost dry under the surface, and move the tree to a very GRANULAR soil that drains rapidly.

Thanks jkl. I meant standard bonsai potting soil, but it still strikes me as too water-retentive. I'm watering it properly but these gnats 'came with the package' i.e, not a result of my watering mistakes. Still, I hear you that I need to get it in proper soil. My question is: will it do well in an akadama-fir bark mixture?

You mention a very granular soil. What would be both very granular AND quick draining? Any ideas?

Last edited:

GerhardG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi Fysal

I live in an extremely dry climate, and my Zelkova air layers (removed this past season) flourished in a 100% inorganic growing medium - something gathered, not commercial so I'll spare you the details.
All the air layers seem happier and grow better than the donor plant still in the nursery bag.

I've found mine to be "sweet bloods" - everything seems to like the taste of Zelkova and the ants come running.

Definitely an outdoor tree....

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The national arboretum usually has some repotting workshops this time of year, which I found incredibly instructive, plus they'll hook you up with some good soil to use. Akadama and bark seems like an odd combination since they both are fairly water retentive. If you have akadama, then pumice and/or lava go nicely with it. For my deciduous this year I used turface, lava, pumice, a splash of compost (straight from the bin), and just a few pieces of akadama (because I am down to my last solo cup of it).

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The annual Bonsai Festival is May 2,3,&4 at the National Arboretum in DC. There will be tons of experts there as well as vendors selling soil, plants, anything bonsai. Go Saturday and talk to someone in the help tent or any vendor selling soil.

Faysal

Seedling
Reaction score
The national arboretum usually has some repotting workshops this time of year, which I found incredibly instructive, plus they'll hook you up with some good soil to use. Akadama and bark seems like an odd combination since they both are fairly water retentive. If you have akadama, then pumice and/or lava go nicely with it. For my deciduous this year I used turface, lava, pumice, a splash of compost (straight from the bin), and just a few pieces of akadama (because I am down to my last solo cup of it).

Thank you! I will go with Akadama-Pumice-Lava as you suggested. I've already got the Akadama. I only thought about bark-Akadama because my money tree has done very well in that, but I realize those are two very different trees with different watering profiles.

Would you suggest throwing in some compost as well?

Faysal

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi Fysal

I live in an extremely dry climate, and my Zelkova air layers (removed this past season) flourished in a 100% inorganic growing medium - something gathered, not commercial so I'll spare you the details.
All the air layers seem happier and grow better than the donor plant still in the nursery bag.

I've found mine to be "sweet bloods" - everything seems to like the taste of Zelkova and the ants come running.

Definitely an outdoor tree....

Interesting, and encouraging. I'm leaving toward aka-pumice-lava as our friend suggested below. Thanks for the valuable advice!

I've thrown out the disgusting moss clump and the tree seems to be doing better. Still need to do a repot though.

Top Bottom