help!! wrinkled roots and general care

Chocoegg

Seed
Reaction score
Hello all!

I’ve been coming back to this forum for a while but I wanted to post so that I can make sure I’m doing all that I can to save my ficus. I got this one in November of 2019 and has been doing well up until I recently- when saw the roots getting wrinkled (but not squishy yet). I had one previously that lasted 2 years or so before meeting the same fate and I don’t want to see it die and suffer like before, so I need all the help I can get.

I water when the soil gets dry (appx every 1-2 weeks depending) and it gets indirect sunlight for the most part, but the sun does come in my room in the afternoon a little. But most notably, I suspect that while I was gone for 3 weeks on a hiking trip my room got too cold and it dried out (a roommate switched off my ac without thinking about my plants) When I came back I noticed it lost a couple leaves so I knew it wasn’t doing well. I might(?) have overwatered when I came back but this pot has much better drainage than the one I had before so I didn’t think too much of it at the time. But the combination of the sudden cold, dryness, then wetness definitely did something bad.

To take immediate action I found that 3% hydrogen peroxide might help fight root rot, so I made a very diluted mixture with water and gave it some right before posting this. I plan to continue with this until I see it getting better (not sure on frequency or timespan to expect improvement but). If anyone has any constructive feedback or help that would be amazing so I can try to save it if possible! - or if someone notices other ways I can help it (ex. Soil getting too cramped, more sunlight etc) that would be amazing. I’m a little worried on the soil as it’s got pushed down over the months and and it’s funneling all energy into extending one specific branch (if anyone knows what to do here/how to prune to keep it healthy that would be amazing too).

I really hope I can save it so please let me know if it’s possible or if I’m doomed like before :’(

thank you so much!image.jpgimage.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I'd take a cutting or 2 and ditch that root mass.

Sorce

vedecx

Yamadori
Reaction score
Have you tried ironing out the wrinkles?

In all seriousness though, the roots wrinkling would seem to me to be a lack of water. Would seem like the plant went dry for too long. But I have no experience with ficus so...

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wrinkling is also common when the root has died and bacteria and fungi are eating it from the inside. If you scape a piece of bark on a hidden spot and it's brown and mushy underneath, then it's an infection, possibly due to standing in water or a lack of air in the root system.

If you grow plants in pots without holes, it's wise to either put some pebbles on the bottom so there's room for water to pool and air to exchange, or use a more open inorganic soil that aerates itself. A pot inside a pot (hanging above the bottom of the outer pot) can be effective too.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yes, that looks like potting soil to me which leads me to believe it's overwatered and rotted out.

Top Bottom