Helping people enjoy bonsai

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Howdy,

B here. I'm not dead. Shouts to BVF, Judy, and Rockm.

From facebook, people consider me a bonsai master. They are wrong. But recently, I've had a few people ask me about the art of bonsai and ask me for advice, pointers... you know. I point them toward Bnut. I tell them about finding local clubs. They want more. I gave a 9 year old myrtle to a 13 year old for her birthday with instructions. I gave a juniper cutting that I'd wired to a 37 year old man for his birthday. I don't have many trees. I didn't have many when I gave the gifts. Question is, how can I get them started without blood? Is it not my problem? If they "wanted in" wouldn't they do it like I did? Like you did?

How can I foster and spread the disease best? I'm still new technically. I search this forum for every question...

Thanks.

Cheers,
B

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have given a couple of my trees to coworkers.
I give them the ones I've out grown or just don't want to work on anymore.
I tell them proper care and they are all still alive. It does make me happy to help them.
If I dont have trees that I'm bored with then I won't share.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Howdy,

From facebook, people consider me a bonsai master. They are wrong. But recently, I've had a few people ask me about the art of bonsai and ask me for advice, pointers... you know. I point them toward Bnut. I tell them about finding local clubs. They want more. I gave a 9 year old myrtle to a 13 year old for her birthday with instructions. I gave a juniper cutting that I'd wired to a 37 year old man for his birthday. I don't have many trees. I didn't have many when I gave the gifts. Question is, how can I get them started without blood? Is it not my problem? If they "wanted in" wouldn't they do it like I did? Like you did?

How can I foster and spread the disease best? I'm still new technically. I search this forum for every question...

Thanks.

Cheers,
B
Great discussion topic. I hope we stay on the rails because I think it's important. BTW: good to see you on here.

I am a JR. High teacher so I get to talk to the kids and the staff often about what I do. Like you I give things away often. I'm fortunate in this regard to have a thousand or so starters at home so it's no big thing.

I'm considering starting a club next year. Now I work in a very poor school so it would be financed by me. However, if I can find the time it would be worth it.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey B. I know you're still kickin, I see you here every so often. I think what you're doing is cool. I do somewhat the same, I have elms that I keep around, I call them infection trees. If I know of someone who is interested, when they come by to see what it's all about, I have a tree I can give to infect them.
The first one's free....:D:D:D LOL.
I even store them in the winter if they need me to. So far I have one serious one, one medium one, and one just playing, but thats cool too. I think the important thing is following up with them, teach them to wire....

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Once upon a time I came across a really good deal on some nice pre-bonsai Juniper procumbens nana, less than ten bucks apiece if you buy three. I bought a couple dozen with the intention of giving them as starter trees to new members of the club I was trying to get going. The club never really came together as a unit, but I gave a lot of the trees to anyone expressing a sincere interest. I have seven of those trees in my collection still and I know a few have died in my care. A few of the others I keep tabs on, most went to younger folks who have gone their way.
The only thing I have stopped doing is the surprise bonsai gift to an unsuspecting recipient. A yard tree or something for the landscape is most always welcome especially if you plant it, too. I've seen this omg look that made me rethink the bonsai giving parameters. I do feel strongly that the giving of a tree is very special in many ways, maybe saying this is how long I expect to be your friend. I myself would like to see it become even more intricately a part of our society.
I would love to foster a club in the local schools.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I teach classes at the local bonsai shop.

I often tell them that the goal of the class is NOT to go home with a styled tree. It's to go home with new skills to use to finish styling the tree at home.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What's up B? Are you a member of the Richmond club? I've been to a couple meetings but somehow it didn't stick. I know I should go more often because it would probably really accelerate my learning. Even better, I wouldn't mind meeting up with fellow nuts, checking out what they've got going on etc. To me, that would be more valuable than meeting in some room at the old age home.

But, to your question, the little girl that lives next door to me, who is about 12 years old, seems mildly interested in my trees. I told her I would give her one and teach her how to take care of it when she was ready. I've given her $10 a couple times to water when I was away and she did a good job (I think her Dad kept an eye on things too). That could be one way with younger kids to plant the seed for when they are older.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not sure about the states, but up here for Earth day/month of the tree, our forestry department gives out trees. Saplings of different native species, easy to care for, and free! I also think being involved in horticultural clubs could be an easier path to reaching people. I started myself by trying to learn techniques well ground growing, seemed more forgiving. It can also help people learn to adjust to how needy trees in pots are, in terms of something as simple as watering. I always enjoy hearing of people connecting to enjoy bonsai, good luck!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have given away so many trees, in fact I have given away more than alot of people here have owned! I've given away stands for contests here, pots to a guy who had a stick on ebay and just recently two very nice maples to a guy whom I met here just a couple weeks ago.

I havn't heard a peep from him since and he hasn't been here either.....I suspect the worst...

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If gifts are given, it is seedlings. Mostly Tamarinds.
Mostly dead in a week, no real interest.
I don't believe one can really do much about interest in Bonsai.
Some just like growing things, but not really training.

Give expendables ---------- Tamarinds even from young look Bonsaish.
It's the look that grabs them.
Good Day
Anthony

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most recently gave away trees to five people at work who expressed interest. Three are still getting together with me once a month at happy hour to learn something bonsai related.

One has to make sure recipients don't feel bad if they kill the trees. I give them plenty of advice on keeping them alive but always tell them we all kill trees. That's pretty much how I started - coworkers gave me a mallsai for a birthday. I promptly killed it, then went out to learn how to keep bonsai alive. Guess I should have done that in reverse order.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If gifts are given, it is seedlings. Mostly Tamarinds.
Mostly dead in a week, no real interest.
I don't believe one can really do much about interest in Bonsai.
Some just like growing things, but not really training.

Give expendables ---------- Tamarinds even from young look Bonsaish.
It's the look that grabs them.
Good Day
Anthony
I feel the same about Japanese Maples. I can gather seedlings by the hundred and always have a big stock of up and comers to pass along.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also have lots of bonsai books that I loan out and I like to give away. It's a bad habit and I should stop, but once I've absorbed what I can from a book they just sit on the self. I'd rather see them being used. Besides, I've got you guys LOL

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
bonsai culture is weird where i am, everyone has a money tree, i see so many that i actually hate it (will post a pic tomorrow). Buddist pines are popular here, but i heard they're poisonous to cats (don't want my lady's kitty to croak), so i'm not getting one. I've got a bonsai contact that seems obsessed with rock plantings, he speaks no English, and always wants to sell me something, but i just go there to look at his trees or try to ask for advice.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Howdy,

Thanks.

Cheers,
B
Hey B,

Great to see you back! Hope your trees are well...

I mostly DON'T give stuff to anyone who has been doing bonsai for less than two years. I have always thought that bonsai are much like pet animals. They are a responsibility first. I'm not sure beginners really understand that. Giving them a tree saddles them with responsibility they may not want, but don't know they're getting.

Also, something that is given to you free, is always consciously or subconsciously, is perceived as less valuable.

I think most --- the vast majority--of people who are "interested" in bonsai aren't really all that interested in actually having one.

As far as getting those people who are really interested in bonsai more information and hands on, I've invited some over, or had them invite themselves over to see the trees.

Bottom line, if they REALLY want to do bonsai, they WILL do bonsai. Most won't though, especially kids (although some will get an initial charge from bonsai, then return a decade later--boomerang bonsai)

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Great discussion topic. I hope we stay on the rails because I think it's important. BTW: good to see you on here.

I am a JR. High teacher so I get to talk to the kids and the staff often about what I do. Like you I give things away often. I'm fortunate in this regard to have a thousand or so starters at home so it's no big thing.

I'm considering starting a club next year. Now I work in a very poor school so it would be financed by me. However, if I can find the time it would be worth it.
That is how i became interested. In middle school our science teacher had us do them as an experiment. Wasnt until 15 years later that i remembered how cool i thought it was.

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Howdy,

Thanks.

Cheers,
B

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi ! I`m from Central England and we have the same situation. I certainly would not try giving lectures at get- togethers . I have tried and met with glazed eyes and yawns. I am disabled and there is always a call for me to give tiny talks at homes for the elderly , but it is so difficult to describe Bonsai without some science ! I do think photos are worth their weight in gold.
You do seem to get attention and words like " oh, is that a Bonsai tree ? " after talking for 1/2 hour.!
What I have found is that BONSAI seems to pass by other disabled people , when in reality there could not be a better hobby. It does not require long distances to drive as nearly everything is available by post and purchases on-line. With a bit of help most people could pick a suitable "ready made Bonsai " and instructions for re-potting . You are lucky to live in a country that has magazines for Bonsai enthusiasts. There is not one magazine here.......very poor. If I was younger I would start such a magazine based on small beginnings and the disabled.
I also think schools are a good idea , I have 3 grandchildren at different levels ; my 11 year old niece is very interested because she SEES them. Demonstrations at this level must be a great idea for the marvel of miniature life in the form of Bonsai . I wish good luck to anyone starting a club where ever you are.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What's up B? Are you a member of the Richmond club? I've been to a couple meetings but somehow it didn't stick. I know I should go more often because it would probably really accelerate my learning. Even better, I wouldn't mind meeting up with fellow nuts, checking out what they've got going on etc. To me, that would be more valuable than meeting in some room at the old age home.

But, to your question, the little girl that lives next door to me, who is about 12 years old, seems mildly interested in my trees. I told her I would give her one and teach her how to take care of it when she was ready. I've given her $10 a couple times to water when I was away and she did a good job (I think her Dad kept an eye on things too). That could be one way with younger kids to plant the seed for when they are older.

Hey bud. Haven't been to a meeting for a while to be honest. It's worth the $25, imo, that I can access professionals and pick up wire from Julian when he's in town but my interest is more doing than sitting arounod watching slides. I know it's better now but I'm also dadding 3 so it's tough. I like the idea of giving kids maintenance to do. I've automated my watering this year. Stuff stopped dying... might have something to do with it.

Cheers,
B

Top Bottom