Hemlock stumps and tics

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tsuga Eastern Hemlock . Restarting my love hate relationship some bad girls are just to good looking to stay away from . šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. Iā€™ve searched a lot for hemlock and maybe can help shorten somes search . In nature they are very shade tolerant and slow growing often . Very leggy . Not what we want . Often waiting for some light to grow faster . . As others have noted . Most think to difficult to find Yamadori . As Nick Lenz said maybe under a blue moon if your lucky . You donā€™t find wind tortured small soil pocket trees not happening . The leggy forest dweller may have old bark and be small . But there love of thin humus rich top soil layer can mean long difficult to collect and or shorten roots . Shade means poor results if trimmed back . And left in the field to develop . Unlike other trees you need good soil conditions for compact roots . Both trees pictured or growing in rooted stumps . Both have access to light . And moisture . One is in the middle of what was once a beaver pond growing out of the foo the rootball of a fallen tree . The other is a growing out of forest stump . With nearby storm damaged trees opening the canary . Both have been cut back . And fertilizer spikes added . Both have DE packed in around trunk for moisture retention . And left to develop . My limited experience shown me reducing roots in the field is risky . Iā€™m positive there is a lot more experience here than I have . But few actively seek these trees . Patients are needed to create something to collect . Beaver territory is a favourite area . They only cut it down if in there way . But they creat light and alter moisture content of soil . As for the TICK I received a traveller in my back to come home . In a fairly heavy Lymmh disease area . Reminded me to
Mention to be careful out there . In my case that means remove all clothing outside when you return complete inspection for ticks the real danger is a tick in your body for more than 24 hours . Un detected . That was 3 weeks ago so far no symptoms Hope this info helps

Attachments

• 20F42D4F-9CAA-418E-AD3D-0F36587F9196.jpeg
    20F42D4F-9CAA-418E-AD3D-0F36587F9196.jpeg
    402.7 KB · Views: 61
  • E0512E0C-83C1-481A-8F9C-B96112EE77BD.jpeg
    E0512E0C-83C1-481A-8F9C-B96112EE77BD.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 0C4D6323-0F2A-440F-8D68-B015AF306481.jpeg
    0C4D6323-0F2A-440F-8D68-B015AF306481.jpeg
    446.6 KB · Views: 62
  • AE2DE556-E18E-4215-9EC1-CC7B127A6A74.jpeg
    AE2DE556-E18E-4215-9EC1-CC7B127A6A74.jpeg
    384.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 3B403F07-9F99-41A9-A7F9-07E2D5204DFA.jpeg
    3B403F07-9F99-41A9-A7F9-07E2D5204DFA.jpeg
    358.3 KB · Views: 57
  • CBDB976A-785A-4246-886C-872201AA0260.jpeg
    CBDB976A-785A-4246-886C-872201AA0260.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 29FE5142-279E-40BA-BB3A-32949885D836.jpeg
    29FE5142-279E-40BA-BB3A-32949885D836.jpeg
    409.9 KB · Views: 59
  • ED6C7939-EBDB-4D32-B65C-1CA9357CE555.jpeg
    ED6C7939-EBDB-4D32-B65C-1CA9357CE555.jpeg
    461.7 KB · Views: 65

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20 bucks if you take a TikTok with your tick next to a Tictac.

Sorce
I donā€™t tic Tok step one I would have to get my 18 year old daughter to explain it to me and that would take up time I could use to have a possible intelligent conversation with her šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
explain it to me

Lol...you could beat your head against a wall for a while and pretty much get the jist of it!

I'd rather have a tick! Or ticks, or turrets and ticks and ticks.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not to tick toe around the issue, those are some great looking trunks. I am not an expert when it comes to collecting, though I have successfully collected 1:1. And have done a pretty good job at keeping them healthy in captivity.

I am also not great at wiring or grafting or sprouting seeds for that matter, but I hear that these graft easily, and it makes sense given their ability to heal wounds. It gives you some more options to think about with regards to leggy growth. And in full sun you can get the density pretty high. Can you imagine one of these honking trunks with the movement and some growth grafted in, nice and compact?

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks great. I've been growing one for 3 or 4 years now. Collected as less than pencil thin trunks from western, NC. I'm experimenting with trunk thickening while pot growing and keeping foliage in check. It's a slow process but working ok. Getting ready to post up a progression thread of mine.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not to tick toe around the issue, those are some great looking trunks. I am not an expert when it comes to collecting, though I have successfully collected 1:1. And have done a pretty good job at keeping them healthy in captivity.

I am also not great at wiring or grafting or sprouting seeds for that matter, but I hear that these graft easily, and it makes sense given their ability to heal wounds. It gives you some more options to think about with regards to leggy growth. And in full sun you can get the density pretty high. Can you imagine one of these honking trunks with the movement and some growth grafted in, nice and compact?
Yours is a nice tree your over the first major hurdle with these collecting them and keeping alive in a pot a lot of people myself included have struggled with that I lost probable the best one Iā€™ll ever find years ago . They have a femininity to them that no other conifer can match . As far as Iā€™m concerned like pine has a masculinity that no tree can match

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great. I've been growing one for 3 or 4 years now. Collected as less than pencil thin trunks from western, NC. I'm experimenting with trunk thickening while pot growing and keeping foliage in check. It's a slow process but working ok. Getting ready to post up a progression thread of mine.
Love to see your pics never get enough hemlock my favourite native greatly under used in my humble opinion . Especially if your like me and will never have enough space with full sun

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Iā€™m with you on the graceful femininity and the under utilization and the shade tolerance, however I have really been able to get mine going with full sun and some Agriform fertilizer tablets.
Generally, on collection I lean towards keeping as much foliage as you can (and still fit it in your mode of transportation), rather than ā€œbalancingā€ to match the roots. I did give mine one season of partial shade, but it has been as full sun as I can do, ever since.
If you have time to plan the collection you could cut through some big roots and take off some ā€œeye pokingā€ straight branches on-site to give it time to recover, however.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love to see your pics never get enough hemlock my favourite native greatly under used in my humble opinion . Especially if your like me and will never have enough space with full sun
This is a pic of mine earlier today. Still just sticks. I have often thought of removing a lot of foliage and styling as a literati. But I want to see how much I can get the trunks to thicken in a pot. My plan is to get as much foliage as possible, close to the trunks and see what happens.

20220608_130446.jpg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Iā€™m with you on the graceful femininity and the under utilization and the shade tolerance, however I have really been able to get mine going with full sun and some Agriform fertilizer tablets.
Generally, on collection I lean towards keeping as much foliage as you can (and still fit it in your mode of transportation), rather than ā€œbalancingā€ to match the roots. I did give mine one season of partial shade, but it has been as full sun as I can do, ever since.
If you have time to plan the collection you could cut through some big roots and take off some ā€œeye pokingā€ straight branches on-site to give it time to recover, however.
As long as they have established rooots they grow best in full sun especially in development the pics of the ones Iā€™m going to collect are in very good light thatā€™s why there cut back in the last Iā€™ve found cutting them back in the field if there in shade does not help they need light to back bud

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is what it looked like a couple years ago.

View attachment 441112
Iā€™ve never tried one in a pond basket that and the slab probably both benefit the roots there natural shallow top layer of the forest soil gives them there love of organic in the mix but they also like air . And roots being left alone .a bit of a juggle been trying to find a source of hemlock bark may have one . Iā€™m told it lasts longer than anything else in a pot once you compost it

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I haven't found my specimen to be particularly finicky about soil or light. It gets about 5 or 6 hours of sun a day and is growing in a mix of lava, turface and pine bark, which is my standard mix for everything. It's been in that pond basket, in a ceramic pot and on a slab. I have been conservative with the roots though - when I moved it to the slab, I didn't cut any. It just keeps chugging along - the more I prune it, the more it grows.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't found my specimen to be particularly finicky about soil or light. It gets about 5 or 6 hours of sun a day and is growing in a mix of lava, turface and pine bark, which is my standard mix for everything. It's been in that pond basket, in a ceramic pot and on a slab. I have been conservative with the roots though - when I moved it to the slab, I didn't cut any. It just keeps chugging along - the more I prune it, the more it grows.
Pretty much mi mix also . In the past I have experimented with other organic and or more pine . They like it but then the compost breaks down and water wonā€™ drain well so earlier repot probable wipes out anything you gained . Over regular mix

Top Bottom