here come the flat tops....

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
south african acacia 101.All of these are acacia sieberiana [paper bark].This species is not suitable for bonsai as the growth pattern is very irregular,however this is the desired shape of most african acacia bonsai.Species suitable for bonsai are:galpinii[monkey thorn],burkei [black monkey thorn,robusta ,nigrescens [knob thorn] + erubescens [blue thorn] imho... these trees are easy to grow but 99% of the time cannot be collected from the wild... If you hack the roots of an older tree it WILL die:mad:IMG_1144.jpgIMG_1147.jpgIMG_1148.jpgIMG_1155.jpgIMG_1153.jpg

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
IMG_1136.jpgIMG_1137.jpgIMG_1140.jpgIMG_1141.jpgIMG_1151.jpgsome more-also all paperbark [sieberiana].all our species have thorns unlike Australia etc... The dead tree in the first picture shows the basic branch structure,there is not much refinement on the branches.....

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
IMG_1159.jpgIMG_1157.jpgIMG_1156.jpgIMG_1165.jpgIMG_1166.jpgand lastly some of my children-well almost......the wire tree i bought on the side of the road + shows the skill that some of our poorer black people have....i think that artist could be a pretty good bonsai man someday....

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I like seeing what people can do with native species and you have done some very nice work.

Top Bottom