Here goes nothing

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
What treatment you gave to the seeds? several of those need scarification because they have very hard coats, like the flame tree and mimosa

Nate77

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What treatment you gave to the seeds? several of those need scarification because they have very hard coats, like the flame tree and mimosa
Just started soaking , the book said to soak some 12-24 , others 24-48, expose the seed soak again for 24 hours. Some go in refrigerator.

Flame and Mimosa were included with no instructions, but there was instructions on thier site for flame but not Mimosa. But from the google it seems like soak ,open, soak.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Are you in the southern hemisphere? If so, your timing is good.

If not, it might be a little more difficult to keep them alive while so young, depending on your location. It can be done. My first seeds were sown in September 2020. Many of them are still kickin', but I live where we don't really have a winter.

Nate77

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Are you in the southern hemisphere? If so, your timing is good.

If not, it might be a little more difficult to keep them alive while so young, depending on your location. It can be done. My first seeds were sown in September 2020. Many of them are still kickin', but I live where we don't really have a winter.
I'm not , I'm in Pennsylvania. My plan was to put them near the refugium grow lights, if they start sprouting.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Maybe get yourself a couple of trees to keep you occupied while you wait. Best of luck with the seeds.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Just started soaking , the book said to soak some 12-24 , others 24-48, expose the seed soak again for 24 hours. Some go in refrigerator.

Flame and Mimosa were included with no instructions, but there was instructions on thier site for flame but not Mimosa. But from the google it seems like soak ,open, soak.
You can keep the flame tree in water forever if you want they wont absorb any moisture, they have a very hard protective shell, you need to scarified them by sanding or hot water

Nate77

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You can keep the flame tree in water forever if you want they wont absorb any moisture, they have a very hard protective shell, you need to scarified them by sanding or hot water
That is one of the ones I used hot water on

Nate77

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Redwood sequoia and white spruce seeds. And weeping willow cuttings showed up Friday.
All seeds are either in fridge or planted , the willow cuttings went in water straight away , 2 of 5 cuttings look like roots are starting. 1/5 cuttings looks like it has blooms on it.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Where I grew up Mimosa are weeds.
Where I live now willows are also weeds. You should not have much issues keeping those.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It increases the survival rate if you keep the soil soaked when you first plant the willows and gradually wean them off the water till you can water normally.

Top Bottom